Salmon on the Thames

Dan G

Anyone caught a Salmon on the Thames - anyone know where you might get one (however slim the chances!). Just had a bet with people at work that it is possible to catch a salmon in the thames!

I hope you didn't commit too much cash Dan. The last thames salmon that I recall was a 6lber caught on double maggot from just below Canary Wharf, two years go. Deliberately trying to catch one would be pointless unless you have a big net and position yourself about two feet upstream from where the EA put in the next stock fish.

Stick to something easier like sturgeon or burbot or a ceolacanth

[ 15. June 2005, 01:53 PM: Message edited by: argyll ]

'I've got a mind like a steel wassitsname'

There was an angler who used to fish for salmon in the thames. he used to spin the weir pools when there was a flood, you would have to be "pike" fishing otherwise you would need a migratory fish rod licence, and it would need to be a decent bet to cover the time effort and expence!!!

There was a guy that fished for them from Teddington lock and got the odd one over a season.

I can remember finding a dead one washed up after a flood in Kingston about 15 years ago so there may be more out there than we think.

Any idea of tactics? I've always spun for them... I have been told a float fished prawn can be good... any tips on rigs (not just for the

Thames!!!!) greatfully received.