Shockleader Question

Elton

Love the piccy!!!!

I don`t normally go for that knot, its fine using the 4 turns on the mainline side as its a thinner line but the shockleader side (if you`re on mono leaders) will be massive and you`ll need six inch rod rings!! For the leader side I just use a single granny knot, pass the mainline through the loop and tie the four or five turn then tighten up carefully. It comes out pretty neat.

wolf.gif

CHRISTIAN.C:

BUDGIE; What is there not to understand about my reply, read it properly!!

I suppose I should reply with NO read my reply properly! but Newt has allready pointed that out :P Never mind! :D

Carping Mad asks-"Budgie: May i ask why the rig tubing has to pass over the shock leader knot anyway? As i always thought the whole point of the shockleader was to stop the line snapping, if however ti does snap, they why would the tubing have to pass over the knot?"

On some rigs the lead is still attached to the tube.Also as you say it is most unlikely the shock leader will break,the problem with the knot (and just to clarify we are talking about the knot which joins main line and leader not the leader to the rig/lead/hook link swivel)is that it needs to be able to pass through the tube (if used) in the event of the main line breaking.Be this through a cut off or pulling for a break etc.

As I said in my post on safe rigs, trailing lengths of line is just as dangerous (if not more so) than the lead still being attached.

On the subject of keeping shock leader knots as small as possible I have always used the one that I learned through surf casting.That is one simple overhand knot in the leader matiriel and a grinner in the main line.Best for heavy mono leaders.For braided leaders I use a double grinner.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!