2 runs at once...What would you do ????

John 'BLOCK'

A topic that always comes to mind usually when their is little or no hope of a single run....BUT...What would you do if your'e on your own and playing a fish and the alarms ring out for another take !!?

Interested to hear what other anglers would do !! :cool:

John "The Block" Westley

2 runs....Sept 2000 and I was fishing a small local lake. Started at 9.00ish and not had a touch by 1.00. Fishing against an island about 50yds out. Had a run on the left rod and hit it. The fish kited to the right and there was a single beep on the other rod. Sudenly it turned into a run and I thought it was the fish snagging the line but then I realised it couldn't be the fish due to using back leads. Hit that fish and tried to decide which was bigger so stayed with the left hander and left the other rod on the bank with my right foot on the butt and the reel backwinding no snags in the lake. Got the first fish in the net and left it in the water with my left foot on the handle and picked up the right hand rod and ended up with two in the net. Not big fish one was 11lb odd and the other 10lb odd. Not another touch then until I packed up at 6. A couple of hours apart would have been much better to relieve the boredom !!

Gareth

I have had this happen a few times and generally strike the second rod (whilst still holding the first) and then put it back on the rests, on a slackish clutch. If other people are about then I get them to play the second fish.

Rob.

• 3 weeks later...

it's happened a few times, but the most memorable was whilst fishing with my brother at Farlows. we were fishing not more than 20yds apart when in a space of a couple of mins we had 4 rods on the go.....let the chaos begin..3 landed,1 lost in a snag.... usually i just strike the 2nd rod with the spare hand then drop it back with the b/runner on....oh! and prey i'm not playing a low double while a 30's doing a linford

yes i am. most of my fishing over the last 10yrs has been in the valley. fishing time is a bit limited these days. at the moment i'm with watford piscators who have waters mainly around rickmansworth, all fairly small but some good fish to be had, in particular Tolpits, not an easy water by any means, but worth the effort

If you've been playing the first fish for a couple of minutes, I've found that when you take the pressure off, the fish will just sulk on the bottom or find a weedbed to stick its head into while you play the second fish to the net. Then I just pick up the first rod and play it to the net also.

I once had 24 and 28 pound commons in the landing net at the same time in Holland.

If you're fishing snaggy water and you've no friends about and both rods go off at the same time, then start praying . . . .

Hi,

I don't know about the second rod going.

What about the carp anglers who fish with

FOUR rods at a time .

Whats your view on this.

mkj :D:D

[ 12 May 2002, 10:46 AM: Message edited by: mkj ]