How to create an abbreviated shortcut

Peter Sharpe

How do you do it? The only way I know of pasting a web page reference into a forum, is to copy and paste the entire web address. I often see examples of clickable shortcuts that have been reduced to a single word, yet I have absolutely no idea of how it is done.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

How do you do it? The only way I know of pasting a web page reference into a forum, is to copy and paste the entire web address. I often see examples of clickable shortcuts that have been reduced to a single word, yet I have absolutely no idea of how it is done.

Copy the link you want to use.

Write what you want the link to say and then highlight it.

Click the insert link tab, (remove the extra http stuff)

Paste the link into the box and click OK

Google

........and if you click on reply (with quote) you should see the whole thing.

Edited by ayjay

Its a matter of using the correct 'tags' for the link.

This forum, along with most others, does it this way

[url="http://www.someurl.com"]Text or label or whatever[/url]

where you use the square bracket and url= to tell the forum what follows, the url in quotes, another bracket, your label, and then the /url in brackets to tell the software your link is finished. All the viewer sees is the label. For instance,

[url="http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/"]Elton's Place[/url]

Elton's Place

The second way is similar but uses the standard HTML tag system which won't work on here but will on some boards such as the eBay discussion boards.

Elton's Place in HTML

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

See! Clear as MUD now in't it!

Sorry chaps but that went RIGHT over my head!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

Visit My Website

As above Peter (if I am right and what you are after? That is a link to my ebay account page) go to POST a REPLY button. Choose the button with the green plus sign on the button to the right of the smilies button. Click on the button and you are prompted to add the full url. this being the bit in the address bar at the top of the page you wish to send someone to. Then when you click OK you are asked to then input something to describe the place you want someone to go to. And then click on OK again and hey presto the link appears!

Or is it ME who is totally and utterly wrong?? YET AGAIN!!

Edited by Chris Goddard

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

So does this mean it can only be done within a forum by using the forum's own software? There is no way of making a similarly abbreviated or re-named link to insert into an email.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.