Cold Water Fishing

mant01

The places I fish in the northeast of the uk seem totally dead at the minute because of it being so cold. Is there any good methods of getting the fish to bite (river or lake) ? Thanks for any help offered

The places I fish in the northeast of the uk seem totally dead at the minute because of it being so cold. Is there any good methods of getting the fish to bite (river or lake) ? Thanks for any help offered

If by northeast you mean Caithness, I would go back to bed till June. :lol:

I think in general things have got a little better of late with the mild spell we have been having, but things are always harder in winter.

Try the deeper pegs or in the case of a river slower water in winter and keep any feed light.

A tiger does not lose sleep over the opinion of sheep

You could try moving to warmer southern parts of UK, but you would have to put up with us southern softies :)

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

My old answer when I lived in the North West and fished mainly ponds and canals would have been light waggler or pole, sensitive float, bloodworm or pinkies on a size 22 or 24 hook, feed little and often, perhaps a little fine cloudy groundbait. My answer now would be a bloody great lump of bread flake lobbed into some chubby looking tree roots of the nearest river. Depends on what fishing you've got available.

My old answer when I lived in the North West and fished mainly ponds and canals would have been light waggler or pole, sensitive float, bloodworm or pinkies on a size 22 or 24 hook, feed little and often, perhaps a little fine cloudy groundbait. My answer now would be a bloody great lump of bread flake lobbed into some chubby looking tree roots of the nearest river. Depends on what fishing you've got available.

I'm with Steve - huge baits (lobs, cheesepaste, crust), big hooks, strong line and cast as close as you dare to the snags or on the slow side of creases in the flow. Dusk is almost always the best time and fishing into dark is a good idea too. Have a lie-in and don't forget your flask of tea :)

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I'm with Steve - huge baits (lobs, cheesepaste, crust), big hooks, strong line and cast as close as you dare to the snags or on the slow side of creases in the flow. Dusk is almost always the best time and fishing into dark is a good idea too. Have a lie-in and don't forget your flask of tea :)

I should add the caveat that my old tactics were appropriate for where I used to fish, though, and that if I'd tried the big bait approach back then I'd likely have blanked from October to March! :lol: Back then, even in the summer, my friends and I would disparage anything bigger than a size 16 as a "meat hook" - you fished fine or blanked!

I should add the caveat that my old tactics were appropriate for where I used to fish, though, and that if I'd tried the big bait approach back then I'd likely have blanked from October to March! :lol: Back then, even in the summer, my friends and I would disparage anything bigger than a size 16 as a "meat hook" - you fished fine or blanked!

It 's been a cracking winter for some of us in the North East- if North North Yorkshire counts.Lots of chub- big baits even in the cold - and good piking on the rivers.I hardly see a soul on the riverbank these days- God knows why as the fishing is superb as long as you adapt to the conditions, keep on the move and fish with confidence.

It 's been a cracking winter for some of us in the North East- if North North Yorkshire counts.Lots of chub- big baits even in the cold - and good piking on the rivers.I hardly see a soul on the riverbank these days- God knows why as the fishing is superb as long as you adapt to the conditions, keep on the move and fish with confidence.

Must admit Id love to catch a Pike. I guess its more down to where Im fishing really thats giving me problems. Thanks alot to everyone for their help :)