carp

nathan

i fish a lake with all sorts of fish in it (carp,tench,bream,perch,rudd) ranging from just little fish up to 10lb fish and what i normally do is float fish with sweetcorn but the problem is they just head straight for the reeds and i lose the fish and every time i try to stop the fish my 5lb line make that horrible tingling sound and i keep thinking the line will break so i give it line but then it will just head straight for the reeds again what i wanted to ask you was should i just keep the presure or give it line.

Nathan,

You need to stop the fish getting into the reeds if that's where you are loosing them. If the line snaps then up the breaking strain (8 or 10lb) and make sure the hooks are up to the job. The ling 'singing' isn't unusual but you do need to put on the pressure, or you'll keep loosing them <which isn't good for you or the fish>.

Additionally you can try fishing further off the reeds, you can bait up to them in a line and fish on the edge of it, thereby giving yourself more time to turn the fish.

Rob.

you can fool them if your quick, as you strike put the pressure on towards the reeds fish being a bit silly will head in the opposite direction away from the supposed threat(usually) let them get clear then play them as normal ,try to fish far enough away from the reeds to enable this, lure them further away with groundbait or freebies :D if this fails then up your tackle as suggested

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Another trick to try while giving the fish side strain to turn it from the snag is to plunge as much of the tip of your rod in the water as possible,often if you do this in time the fish will kite in a big arc away from the snags

it tastes like burning

I agree with Chesters on that one, I had a session the other night on a commercial fishery and fished about a foot away from some lillies.

Fishing the pole, as soon as I had a bite I'd just pull them towards the lillies and every one of them bolted in the opposite direction.

Shipped the pole out and played them in the open water.Didn't lose one of them.

ATB.

HB.

RobStubbs:

Nathan,

You need to stop the fish getting into the reeds if that's where you are loosing them. If the line snaps then up the breaking strain (8 or 10lb) and make sure the hooks are up to the job.....

Yup, I agree with Rob, in fact I might even go a little heavier.

Beefier tackle, hit'n'hold tactics....no slack line, no backleads, single banksticks, rod pointing at the hookbait.

Pressure (Bully) the fish away from the reeds and 'play' in open water.