wily carp

christian kimber

I fish a lake in crediton near exeter,and these carp are some of the most wary fish i've come across.It's proving to be a real head ache to catch even the smallest of them!!

I've tried a lot of diffrent methods and only had to doubles in 7 sessions to show for me efforts.I've read alot of material concerning lakes like this which are small and very pressured,but so far none of there tricks has paid off.

Does anyone have any solutions to this problem? or maybe they have fished places like this and found maybe certain baits that work?

I should explain a little about the lake,it's about two acres or so with two small islands and very coloured water as it's dug from clay.It contains well over hundred 20's and two known thirties with a smattering of smaller carp that have BIG appetites!

You can't night fish the water so any long session is broken up to days,which is a real pain.The place is bait boat heaven which is a method that seems to work,but not one i can afford to do.And there is one specific bank that seems to produce more fish than all the others but is normally full.

There really is lots of good features to fish to in all swims,but the bottom is very silty as its an old estate lake and so heavy leads and small hooklinks get buried in the silt.

I tend to fish with running lead set ups with quite long hooklengths to combat the silt,and hard baits to discourage the attentions of nuisance species.I've used all types of bait and the little but often approach to baiting up,which has always worked for me,just leaves a blank after three days fishing.

I tried the heavy approach,blank,pva bags,blank,singles,blank!!

I should just walk away,but i can't as i like the challenge.I get to do maybe 2 sessions in a year,2-3 days each session and thats all i can get really because of work.

If anyone can help it would be real good.

You might like to give whitebait a try. I find carp an absolute pest on them when I'm fishing for other species! The other advantage is that if you buy the individually blast frozen ones and use them cold they only just sink, and so should be good on a soft bottom.

I find the best way to hook them is in through the eye and out through the top of the skull. A size 6 or 8 hook is usually about right.

They're an instant bait, but prebaiting certainly helps. Unless like me you want to avoid the carp......!

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Christian , are nuts allowed? If so try Brazils as they sink slowly and will rest on the silt.

Pop up the same over the top.

Den So I am really losing it :D

[ 26. September 2004, 09:21 AM: Message edited by: poledark ]

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

leave him its turning me on :P:P

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

you could always use a small backlead, or if you decide on the slack lines, a really simple bolt-rig setup.

try prawns or cockles. sometimes trying what nobody else does works.

just have a think to yourself....... still havent got a clue about whitebait though...

Stefan:

i thought that whitebait was a sea-bait, can you expand on  that steve, and if its so good where do i get it?

Whitebait are indeed sea fish - they're the fry of sprats and herrings. I get mine from fishmongers at about £2 per pound. Make sure you get individually blast frozen ones though; the ones in branded packets (Youngs etc) are smaller and, more importantly, are frozen as a block. When sufficiently defrosted to break a fish off they're then rather too soft to use.

My first article in a monthly mag was called "Chub on Whitebait" and was published over 20 years ago. Since then I've caught a lot of other species on whitebait, including tench and barbel as well as carp. There's a little more on my experiences at http://anglers-net.co.uk/authors/steve02.htm in a piece called "5lb Roach or Deadbait Surprises".

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Steve i heard liver or steak was a killer for chub as it seems the blood trail was irresistable.And i've heard of carp taking small roach that have been injured.

But when i talked about this to a friend who's been fishing the rivers especially for years says that they do so sporadically and not on a regular basis.Could you tell me how you would go about fishing such a bait? i have reservations about deadbait but hey nothing else works!!