never been so pleased with yet another lure

Andy_1984

after loosing my abu hi-lo jerk bait 'glider' to the far bank of the canal i went to the angling centre to replace it but then remembered it was a tad too heavy for my rod so i went in search for another glider and found a rapala Gliding rap 12

i got the BGR style and 50g casting weight

it's a side by side, wide action sub-surface lure but works very well at deeper depths

some of you remember my last thread about being pleased with a lure well this one worked out even better. with my first cast i seen the stupidly obvious bending gold bar take a swipe at the lure. a few casts later working clockwise from one end of the canal to the other i hooked in to my first pike on the gliding rap hooked on the top lip, guestimate 7lb.

i returned the pike and proceeded to cast clockwise across the canal and hooked in to yet another decent canal pike roughly the same size as the last one.

after about 20 minutes of nothing after the last 2 i moved on to another swim and cast right along the bank and hooked in to another pike! this time a little smaller id hazard a guess at it being about 2lb. this one had quit boldly took half the lure into its mouth.

about 10 minutes into the new swim i didn’t get anything so i moved on to the next swim only a few feet from the previous.

about 5 casts later bang! Another pike!!! though only about the 2lb mark it gave a bloody good fight but sadly one of its scissors was completely missing "by no fault of my own might i add as it looked like an old injury"

so to conclude, 4 pike on one lure in one day in the space of 3 hours which btw is the most ive ever had in the entire time ive been a piker. the best £13 ive ever spent :D

post-7003-1236436540_thumb.jpg

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

I like the look of that. 50 grams you say. That would be sweet on my wee baitcasting outfit.

...Andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Nice one :)

I haven't done any pike fishing for years, but reading threads like this reminds me that I really ought to.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

I don't normally throw a commercial advert in here but £13 seems a bit high.

I just checked and I think I can get them for anyone interested for about £9 each delivered or a little cheaper if you want more than one since shipping 2 or 3 is barely more than shipping 1.

If anyone is interested, email or PM me and I'll confirm availability of the lure in these colours.

gliding_rap.jpg

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

after i posted this yesterday i got an itch for giving it another go so i headed back up to the canal and on my 3rd cast, Disaster struck i lost the lure but not to a pike thankfuly.

giving it the usual tap to get it to glide my line went slack :o i knew instantly what had happened but not how it happened. my damn crosslock opened up and the lure has simply fell off.

im uncertain how it happened but perhaps when i wqas attaching the lure when the police showed interest in what i was doing i got a bit paranoid and havnt locked it fully.

inspecting the cross lock it did appear as though it wasnt made correctly as the bent peice that crosses over wasnt as long as the others i have so who knows.

im a little anoyed at losing £13 because of a cross lock.

refusing to buy a new "Rapala" i set out to make/modify my own using a dremel rotary tool

it was made from an old lure i had (andy you might remember this one) i forget what kind it was but it was realy big, clunky and never seemed to catch im gonna start a thread about it with pics from start to finish but heres a taste, oh and i went up the canal to check it out and it glides almost perfectly but it needs more weight

Edited by Andy_1984

Owner of Tacklesack.co.uk

Moderator at The-Pikers-Pit.co.uk

Not closing a lock is easily done. I've done it and plenty of anglers have done it. I've not lost a lure because of it but had I not noticed, I probably would have. Now it's something I'm really vigilant about. A wee glance before every cast.

...Andy...

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Because of problems with my fingers I find many clips difficult to open and close. By far my favourites are Duolocks, and these I find completely reliable. You can get them from the guy who now owns Caliber Tackle, with whom I have no connection, having retired some 10 years ago. Go to http://calibertackle.blogspot.com/.

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Those duolocks are alright, I used them before I changed to their power snaps. I changed because they were prone to opening during pike & saltwater fly-casting. They are also completely useless for heavy lure / jerkbait fishing. I've a friend with arthritis, and he uses the lead clips, and I've yet to see one of those fail, although I personally have reservations for heavy lure work. I will see how he goes with them though.