River feeding methods?

saskcarp

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Guys

A method I use in running water to get feed (hemp, pellets etc) down quickly (and at ranges beyond a bait dropper) is :-

Take a plastic cup (disposable picnic type) fill 1-2 cm with hemp, pellets etc (make sure they are damp but not soaking wet), put in a pebble then cover with another layer of damp bait.

Freeze.

Take to river in cool box etc, release from the cup and throw in. This sinks rapidly (especially if you use a big pebble) melts fast, even in mild winter conditions, and gets bait down accurately, even in fast water.

You can even reuse the plastic cups.

Peter

Easy mate

Huge balls of vitalin with all your goodies inside, hemp, tigers, chopped boilies, sweetcorn, maize (it can hold a hell of a lot and still bind). Make it up in advance and leave it to set. It will go as hard as a cricket ball. Just ball the stuff in. It is awsome for river carping. Breaks down just where you want it :)

Singy

Paul Singleton

singy - I don't know about Canada where Sask is but they don't sell that brand in the US. Wonder which other feed would behave the same way?

PeterJC - good idea. I fish some similar areas and may well be using that trick myself. Have to increase the amounts to allow for larger waters but the basic idea sounds excellent.

To give an idea, here is a shot of the Pasquotank River in North Carolina taken from near one shore and shot toward the other.

pasquotank.jpg

[ 15. July 2003, 10:41 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Sorry fella I had no idea he was over the pond. :)

Vitalin is a flaked maize/cooked wheat based dry dog food, with bits of meat and marrow. It is mixed with water and it softens where it can be balled up.

It is very cheap and can be used in big quantities. The one we use over here is the original blend

http://www.vitalin-nutrition.co.uk/original.html

I'm pretty sure you will have a very similar dog food over there

Paul Singleton

Paul - he was originally a UK fella but now living and fishing in Canada. The "sask" part of his handle is from the province name.

He may even have known exactly what dog food you were talking about. But I'm glad to get a better idea of what type it is since I've read lots of posts about using it but never thought to ask exactly what it was. Figured it was some sort of angling bait specialty item.

So I thank you and Sask probably will when he looks in next time.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

any cheap mixed particle is ok for what you want,as regards feeding it if you get a large bait rocket,block of the top end and cut the bottom off.wrap a strip of lead arround the bottom,this makes geting alot of bait in easier and quicker than a normal dropper[they tend to be quite small],works well for baiting barbel swims anyway

Lots of sond technical advice here ref groundbaits and delivery systems but I cant help but feel that the most important thing has been missed.That is to choose a suitable feature in the river to pre bait ie a place where the bait {along with all the natural food and i hasten to add the fish)Will naturaly settle and stay! This is the way I have always tackled the big European rivers like the Saonne,Weser and Po.You dont get a much heavier flow than these!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I fish the tidal river Thames and the fish are so nomadic, features are of little iomportance, I have much more faith in finding a nice quiet spot and bait the hell out of it. :) The carp will find your feed, no problem.

Paul Singleton

singy:

I fish the tidal river Thames and the fish are so nomadic, features are of little iomportance, I have much more faith in finding a nice quiet spot and bait the hell out of it.   :)   The carp will find your feed, no problem.

Errrr singy - your quiet spot is a feature on a river. :)