Scales

arbocop

Good plan but I think I'll just take the scales to the shops. I know nothing of embrassment. If anyone asks, I'll just baffle them with angler chat.

....Andy....

Oh, and a handy way to check calibration at a number of different points, if by attached a lightweight plastic container to the hook, and then adding 227 ml water at a time - each 227 ml water will add half a pound to the weight of the plastic container.

By the way, this may also be a good way of applying a linearly increasing tension to test line or knot strength, should you feel like doing some experiments. In this case, pour till it snaps, then work out how much water you poured, and calculate the mass...

As I bit into the nectarine, it had a crisp juiciness about it that was very pleasurable - until I realized it wasn't a nectarine at all, but A HUMAN HEAD!

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Spose so aye. Good plan.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

4oz out where?

By that I mean are they fine zeroed, and then 4oz out at 40lb?

I zeroed them,then weighed a bag of sugar and it weighed 4oz more than what written on the packet,I checked the bag of sugar on my wifes kitchen scales and it did weigh what it said on the packet.It was a 1 kg bag of sugar. Edited by dapper64

How did you zero them? Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, but on my Heatons, the needle can settle in a range of about plus or minus 6oz depending on how hard or gently I release tension from the weighing hook. So I always make sure I slowly pull the hook, then release gently, and that's where I zero. Basically if you release your tension and it settles in the same place every single time, you're on the right track.

Again, apologies if you know all this already.

Geoff

Arf, that adding water lark is what I did about 10 years ago to test knots :) I got so much stick on here from those who couldn't seem to understand the principle, that I won't get into any more discussions about knots and weighing things. Most of the ctitisism of digitals is because the users won't wait for them to settle, they seem to be quite happy to "make a guess" with spring balances bouncing around though.

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

How did you zero them? Sorry if I'm preaching to the converted, but on my Heatons, the needle can settle in a range of about plus or minus 6oz depending on how hard or gently I release tension from the weighing hook. So I always make sure I slowly pull the hook, then release gently, and that's where I zero. Basically if you release your tension and it settles in the same place every single time, you're on the right track.

Again, apologies if you know all this already.

I know what you mean,they can be little delicate,but yes thats how I zero mine as well.can they be adjusted or should I just chuck m out?.

I know what you mean,they can be little delicate,but yes thats how I zero mine as well.can they be adjusted or should I just chuck m out?.

No idea to be honest. My initial problem with mine was vastly differing readings often 3lb apart! Turns out not only did the needle keep coming loose, but some internals were playing up too.

You could try some heavier weights to see if it's 4oz out everywhere, whether the error gets larger, or even perhaps cancels out.

If you do decide to chuck em, I'll pay your postage to take them for spare parts. You could even eBay them for spares (case etc.).

Geoff

Isn't it amazing that in the year 2009 there doesn't appear to be anything better than the good old Avons. Mine are >20 years old and get tested every year. Last test - 2oz. out at 28lbs. which is good enough for me. The only problem is the dial is a bit scratched & hard to read.

The Reuben Heaton dial scales are highly rated but to me they seem a bit bulky & heavy. Does anyone have any experience of the Reuben Heaton digitals?