Cheated by idiots

Severn Wolf

I love restrictive rules. My favourite carp waters are those that impose both a night-fishing ban and a boilie ban. Where such rules are enforced, it keeps most carp anglers away. And frankly, I'd rather fish quiet, neglected places than goddam-awful "bivvie-cities".

And why the worry about not being able to use boilies anyway? I wouldn't feel unduly restricted if I was unable to ever use boilies again - indeed, more often than not I use alternative baits even where boilies ARE allowed. Boilies may be the most convenient bait, but in many cases they fall a long way short of being the best bait.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jim, thanks for replying on this thread. I well remember an article in Carpworld where you told the great delight in casting out a pepperami doppelganger bait with the club chairman in the swim. I loved that!!!

I will be the first to admit to being distinctly average at carping. Theres too many other species giving new challenges that I can`t dedicate myself to solely fishing for them.

I know spots on the lake where the carp visit. I have spent hours and hours walking round and climbing trees before deciding where to set up. I`ve felt on a couple of occasions that I have been in the right place. But, have I been there at the right time? That I think is the crux of the matter. My night sessions are limited to just that, get down five or six o`clock, have a long and careful look around, get the baits out just before dark then pack up nine or ten the next morning to get back to work ( self employment is a great bonus for fishing but it can also be a very large ball and chain)

I have blamed my lack of success on ability and bait but the time factor must come into it somewhere. I know the old adage about an hour in the right spot etc but after watching the carp I`m pretty convinced that they move around a lot when feeding. Maybe, just maybe I could do with trying to squeeze in a second night every now and again.

One thing though, particles against boilies. Will the fish come to prefer a particle against a boilie in these circumstances given that the latter is more of a food item?

wolf.gif