new rods

pikeman9

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi all

just wondering if anybody has or uses gray's rods am thinking about buying a set of either the new prodergy or xflights any info would be much apprecated , thanks in advance .

They're slim, sexy, and effing great rods.

I was going to get the X-flites but went for the TFG whispers instead cos they're just a wee bit skinnier

Pukka rods with a great background..ask Greys for advice about test curves/actions etc and they will help you pick the best rods for you

Sadly havn't got any but seen the Prodigy, agree with Woodzzz they look the dogs danglies. I would expect from Greys that they would perform as good as they look. :P

Eat right, stay fit, die anyway.

thyanks guy's am looking at 3lb jobs to cover abit of long rang carping and some pikeing will just have to decide which to go for as the xflights are a lot more cash but do look bl**dy loverly !

only thing that turns me off about greys and lot of other brands is the guides.greys rods only have 2 feet/legs or whatever those things are called conecting the guide to the rod :)iam not sure if there is any difference between 2 or 3

legs/feet for each guide or not,there dose not seem to be,but i just feel like it would bend

easier if dropped or even pulled off the pod.

what do you guys think?

payara - it's like every other fishing thing I know of. Trade-off. The single foot guides bend the easiest but have by far the least effect on rod action. Double foot next and triple foot the most. The foot and the wrapping for it stiffen whatever part of the blank they cover.

I usually opt for single-foot elevated guides for my lure rods but fully expect I'll have to replace the occasional ring. Otherwise I use the double foot ones for carp & catfish rods.

I much prefer to keep the best possible rod action and don't really mind replacing a guide now and again. And I avoid the full-length underwrap you see on some of the heavier rods. It may help protect the blank surface but I really don't like the way it makes a rod behave.

However and as mentioned on another thread, US rods tend to have a higher ring count than UK so the action would be more affected on ours by the ring design.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

thanks newt.now let me see if i have got this strait.when i say 2 feet i was refering to the

little posts or legs that hold the ring itself,

and not the pice that is wrapped with the thread

and glue to hold on to the rod.where you meaning

the legs/posts holding the ring or the ''feet''

wrapped up in thread.iam sorry if i am confusing,

i just lack the proper terms for these things.

thanks

I have had a set of Greys Prodigy 2 3/4lb for 5 months now and haven't had a problem with them yet.

Very slim and nice looking with a classy stainless butt cap. I got the Prodigy X version with the full duplon handle which looks very nice indeed!

My mate just got a set of 3lb Prodigy's and he is well impressed with them. They are considerably more beefier than my 2 3/4lb and can chuck a fair old distance.

The lifetime guarantee is a nice touch too.

payara - sorry it took so long to respond. Lost track of this thread.

The feet are the part that is wrapped to the blank. And double (two) for sure stiffens the blank more than a single.

But even for the rings, the ones with three legs holding ring to feet (two of them) still have more effect on the blank than a ring with only two "legs".

The most effect is for heavier rods - usually sea fishing - where there is an underwrap to protect the blank since it will be from below the bottom foot to above the upper one. Ring is then wrapped onto the under layer rather than directly to the blank.

Single foot

ring-singlefoot.jpg

Two legs, two feet

Couldn't locate a picture. Maybe they don't exist??

Three legs, two feet

ring-3legs.jpg

Four legs, two feet - heavy duty stuff

ring-4legs.jpg

[ 10. August 2003, 07:26 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President