Blanked twice in one week

Ziffy

:confused: any have any idea why i have had such bad luck, on what is supposed to be a prolific water?

bait used, bollies, every thing from plain sinker to pop-ups, expander and sinking pellets, dog biscuit. even ground bait.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cos the fish werent actually in front of you?

Don't worry about blanks mate, the guys in the magazines have blanked more than you or I I'm sure, the difference is that they analyse their session right down to the very last detail.

The last detail is probably the bait they used

"bait used, bollies, every thing from plain sinker to pop-ups, expander and sinking pellets, dog biscuit. even ground bait."

Might be part of the problem Ziffy! Stick to one thing you know works and have confidence in.As allready said make sure you have the fish in front of you.Always watch to see what others are doing and gauge your results by theirs.If they arev all catching then you are doing something wrong,if they are all blanking too then theres a good chance that the fish just aint having it!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Saturday last. Two of us fishing 4 rods each for buffalo and carp (same setup for both).

I used 4 different, proven baits. He used 2 but different from mine. Rods in margins at each end and from 10 to 40 feet in the center. 2 rods popped up and the others on the bottom. Not a touch.

However, no one else we spoke to had much more success. A few were catching the odd tiddler on lobworm or cut bait but very few and very small. So I have to put the result down to the day rather than to the baits and rigs.

We also didn't see any signs of fish movement. No bubbles. No crashing. No nothing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

plenty of nice size carp in front of me on both days, the first day it wasnt just me who didnt catch, so the first day didnt bother me, however the second time, i had the lake to myself for nearlly 4 hours, out of the 8 i was there. So as sugested the fish just are not interested.

Which is puzzling because i was told, the perticular lake was prolific in the winter

I wouldnt worry about blanking a few times mate thats carp fishing for you. You just have to be patient and you will get on them eventually. I dont seem to be able to get on them myself at the mo the tench keep picking the bait up before the carp get a chance.

is it worth going back d'ya think, or should i give up and go somewhere else.

I know there are carp there, i've seen them on the bank, with other anglers, though the water seems to be getting harder to fish.

could mean a change in baits.

Ziffy, the carps behaviour is very unpredictable at this time of the year (and March) simply because they hate change. Warm (ish) days with very cold nights always puts them off the feed.

When it's warm, great! When it's cold, great! But change they hate.

Just keep plugging away, stay warm and the rewards will come. At the end of the day, you won't catch if you're not fishing!