Question on silt for a friend

RUDD

Posted on behalf of Paul, lost in the tangled darkness of to much knowledge!!!!!!

quote:

Rig boy,

Need your expert advice on setting up for silt. I'm guessing that any spodded items need to be quite light weight so that they sit on top of said silt. Plus possibly a longer hooklink. I prefer short links (5 - 6") which is since backed up by Korda dvd.

Was wondering about snowman rigs. Popped up maize ? or even a medusa rig. I think I'll definitely go with one on maize. Spod out some mixed pellet, swim stim green ground bait and hemp. Danny Fairbrass uses wet hemp and ground bait in pva bags. He mixes it with pellets and oil to absorb the moisture before bagging it. And he uses Fusion boilies but maybe that's because there's sponsorship on the dvds...

Paul.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I have been fishing a lake with at least 12inches of silt and have found that the chod rig has to be the best set up. Using a very short hookling of about 1-2 inches with a popped up bait of any kind. As far as baiting goes I tend to use anything with an e-regular shape. pellets,half boilies. I dont feed particle baits when fishing popups.

tight lines

Ant

Effort equals reward!!

On top of the silt is nice but carp have 'smeller' organs on their belly so will often find goodies buried in the silt as they cruise along munching.

Nice to keep your rig on top but I'd worry a little less about the feed you put out.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Its very similar to the helecopter rig but the top bead is set about 18" up the leader so that the lead will bury into the silt but your hooklink will slide up the leader and sit on top of the silt. If you pierce the rubber bead from the side with a baiting needle then thread it on to the leader it will not slide around but will come off if you have a crack off and a fish picks up the bait.

ant

Effort equals reward!!

Anthony78:

Its very similar to the helecopter rig but the top bead is set about 18" up the leader so that the lead will bury into the silt but your hooklink will slide up the leader and sit on top of the silt. If you pierce the rubber bead from the side with a baiting needle then thread it on to the leader it will not slide around but will come off if you have a crack off and a fish picks up the bait.

ant

I know that rig but didnt know the name.

Cheers.

RUDD

RUDD:

Whats the chod rig?

Also known as the 'short rig' and was popularised by Frank Warwick and Terry Hearn.

You need a very stiff link from mainline to the terminal weight, and the hooklength should also be very stiff and set about 18" - 2ft up the line from the weight, with beads either side of the hook link swivel.

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

• 5 years later...

Blimey. I didn't realise how old this rig is now!

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Wow, its been giving people 'da edge, innit' for quite some time. Something else to chuckle about at the local pond when I make the mistake of asking a carpist 'what rig/bait?' and they yak for 5 minutes about the 'latest' invention.

Just make sure you use a long weight link on a simple paternoster rig of the 'helicopter' configuration. I use leger stops and beads to retain the hooklength, of whatever length you desire, in the required position.

As for baiting up, I've used pva bags and even a weightless swimfeeder sliding in the gap between the leger stops to achieve this. I don't know what actual bait to recommend as I use this rig for bream in very silty areas, on the broads, but the rig itself does work well for them.

Renrag

This Years' Targets:- As many species by lure as possible. Preferably via Kayak. 15lb+ Pike on Lure...

Species Caught 2012- Pike, Perch.

Kayak Launches- Fresh-8 Salt- 0

Kayak Captures- 14 Pike, 1 Perch.

My Website and Blog Fishing Blog, Fishkeeping Information and BF3 Guide.

Foxy Lodge Wildlife Rescue

Blimey. I didn't realise how old this rig is now!

I didnt realise I have been posting this long :P

RUDD