Boilie Base Mix

Having never made my own boilies before, ive decided to give it a go.

Are there any hints and tips anyone can give me?

How many boilies will i get out of 1kg of base mix? (1kg?)

Is it a pain in the arse or a worthwhile venture to save £££'s?

Hope you happy carpers can help

chris

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

Never made any myself but have heard / read that mainlines base mixes are good.

Also bear in mine you may want to add some flavour, sweetners and maybe some colouring to make your boilies stand out.

For an interesing read on flavouring and a look at some of the best flavours on the market click here for braddocks baits .

I have used maple plus and pungent surprise on the outside of baits this season and have caught fish.

I would also advise getting yourself a cheap rolling table as it will save you alot of time.

I am sure some of the more experianced carpers here will give some advice.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

I used to roll my own.

You are right it is a pain in the a**e, especially as the ready mades are so good, just try using Lug and crab or any of the pungent fishy flavour ones, with Butyric Acid and see how long it is before you are banned from the kitchen.

If you must make them, stick to nice fruity or spicy flavours; I dont know if the carp like them but I dont get an ear bashing off the wife.

[ 02. June 2005, 12:16 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony U:

I used to roll my own.

You are right it is a pain in the a**e, especially as the ready mades are so good, just try using Lug and crab or any of the pungent fishy flavour ones, with Butyric Acid and see how long it is before you are banned from the kitchen.

If you must make them, stick to nice fruity or spicy flavours; I dont know if the carp like them but I dont get an ear bashing off the wife.

LOL :D

the only baits I am allowed to cook in the kitchen are partiblend and wheat as they do not smell.

Hemp and all others are done in the garage on an old coleman double burner stove.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Oh, I manage to still cook hemp and make pastes, even fishy smelling ones, they drive, Wilbur (the cat), nuts.

p.s. He also eats expander pellets, probably a good tester for the baits

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

My dog prefers any bait to her own food.

If I stick some on the hook and cast it in the garden, will I technically be 'dogging'? :D

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

As to how many you get per kilo of mix, that sorta varies depending on how large you make them.

If you roll half-kilo boilies you'll only get about 2.3 or something.

BB size and I'd guess you'll get thousands.

[ 02. June 2005, 11:44 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

You could also try this article:

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/authors/elton23.htm

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE