Cheap carp gear

Colin Payne

Ok so what I've done is picked up 2 rods and 2 reels from WMAC for £49.95 (Ad.at the back of Sept issue of Improve Your Coarse Fishing). They are the Ron Thompson superior specimen rods and Okuma Dynadrag "baitfeeder" speciman reels. Not received them yet so i dont know what to expect. Anybody had any experience of this gear at all?

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i don`t know about the rods but i have two of the reels and i like em.

there pretty smooth for only one bearing.

one thing i have done is greased round the shaft under washers etc after taking the spool off.

the reason is the drag was a little variable in response but after greasing performs well.

the most important thing is to use good line and very secure knots.also use good bait.

i was fishing one rod and float fishing while waiting,i had just bought "any old boilee" and it could go a whole session without a take.

tuesday i had a boilee out for 2 hours and nothing i then changed to hair rigged cat food in the same place under a margin tree (lowered in carefully)within 2 minutes i had a take an 11lb mirror followed by 6 others 4 to 10lb.

have fun :D

later guys i`m going fishing

Colin Payne:

Ok so what I've done is picked up 2 rods and 2 reels from WMAC for £49.95 (Ad.at the back of Sept issue of Improve Your Coarse Fishing).

I've just done the same. 2 rods, 2 reels, 2 rod tubes and all for a shade under 58 squid. Cant wait. :D:D

Do you think Matt Hayes would catch any less fish if he was to fish with a cheap Badger 2 rod set up rather than him using his Fox gear,where one rod would cost well in excess of £100. I think not. Its not the gear it is what you do with it(as the mrs says) :D

Paul

Hi Rykko, the gear turned up on Friday. Tryed one out in the afternoon, no bites but it felt good, cast well and the Okuma reels are very smooth. I ordered them 2 Tuesdays ago so they took 7 working days allowing for the Bank holiday. If u ordered yours from WMAC 2 Fridays ago I should think you'll get them by Wednesday as its delivery up to 7 working days. Can't wait to try a long session. I've been getting lots of tips from some of the carpers on my local lake and you guys on here are a great help. I've been sent videos for free and got some good advice.

Cheers Guys

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

I have two Okuma Dynadrags, use them for general medium/heavy work as well as with braid for Piking, so they get a lot of abuse, and they are excellent in my opinion. also have a couple of Daiwa Sensor-Z carp rods, and I can't really fault these either! If you shop around you can get them for £30 each.

Incidentally, as a self-confessed tackle junkie, I've always thought that in general, Shakespeare gear is very well priced, good quality, and their customer service is brilliant.

Andy.

Mine turned up this afternoon. I've got tomorrow off work so I might just load the reels up and head for a nice little pond I was introduced to Saturday. I'll have to fish using a feeder as I forgot to get any leads (doh), and I'd better spend tonight practising the old knotless knot :)

No bite indicators either so it'll have to be the old line-under-the-rubber-band trick I suppose.

I forgot to get another dropper so it was back to the old Fairy Liquid bottle top tonight :):)

No fish but I chilled out nicely with a few tinnys!