Cheap carp gear

Colin Payne

Has anybody ever bought a cheap carp setup as advertised in the angling papers? They are usually from Used Tackle or Badger and go for about £100, 2 Rods, 2 Reels, 2 alarms+pod and buzz bars. I was thinking of dabbling in a bit of carping but dont want to spend a fortune so I'm wondering if the quality of this gear is to be trusted considering the price?

Any advice gratefully received!

I am dyslexic of Borg, refistance is sutile.............your ass will be laminated!

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colin,

A better approach may well be to set a budget and ask people here what you could get for it. The Okuma reels, for example, are getting rave reports and you can get them very cheaply.

Tight lines,

Elton

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

Colin,

When I started (admitedly a few years back) I just bought one rod, reel and bite alarm. I would suggest thinking about doing that and perhaps putting out a single carp rod whilst float fishing. That way you can get a better idea of whether you like it without breaking the bank.

Rob.

I've been looking at the Okuma reels on Chapmanstackle.com, is it worth the extra 20 quid to go for the Coronado, or is the Dynadrag a capable enough performer? As far as I can see it is only the number of bearings that make the difference.

--

Hi rykko

I personally think that there is no difference in performance of each of these reels maybe the coronado being slightly smoother i dont own one i have played with the dynadrag one though and it feels good the coronado looks slightly better as well if that bothers u

Cheers

james

Dont just take my advice its just a view not nescessarily (spelling)! right

BEEEEP BEEP BEP BEEP BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP

I found one of the Coronado reels at the bottom of a pile in my local tackle shop this afternoon. Its got a lovely feel to it and the build quality looks pretty good too. I would probably have had it there and then if it wasn't for the fact that it was 50% more expensive than the on-line price from Chapmans.

On a limited budget, I would go for second hand gear every time. There are so many tackle tarts dumping perfectly good gear that it's got to be a better bet than buying bottom end new stuff.

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.

you can get perfectly good second hand gear if you look.i did just last week, and came up with 3 shimano aero 8010 gt baitrunners,mint condition £35 each.bargin! shop about and keep your eyes open.----quattro----.