Has anyone tried.........

Polly

Using captive backleads in conjunction with the flying slider type that run up your line during the cast?

Is this a daft thought? My nieve logic goes that line would then be pinned to lake bed at TWO points, one, a few yards up from the rig and two, a few yards from the rod tip, make sense? would it help or would it hinder?

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

by captive do you mean that its attached to the line with shot or the like, and if so how are you meant to reel in?

run backwards? :D

if you mean that the lead is threaded to the line without a break in its attachment then probably the same as the clip on backleads, sliding down the line on the retrieve, although if this is snagged then you're fubar'd.

chris

probably not very helpful...

[ 23. May 2005, 03:19 PM: Message edited by: Chris the Fish ]

A bird in the bush is worth two in the hand

Polly, there's no reason why that wouldn't work. However, I don't like flying backleads for a number of reasons, firstly they aren't weed friendly (putting it mildly!) and also I've seen quite a few broken rod tips caused by them.

Why not just use multiple clip-on backleads, I've used up to 6 before now, and I know of a whopping big 'named' fish that came out with the captor using 11 backleads!!

[ 23. May 2005, 03:25 PM: Message edited by: Gaffer ]

Gaffer:

Polly, there's no reason why that wouldn't work.  However, I don't like flying backleads for a number of reasons, firstly they aren't weed friendly (putting it mildly!) and also I've seen quite a few broken rod tips caused by them.

Why not just use multiple clip-on backleads, I've used up to 6 before now, and I know of a whopping big 'named' fish that came out with the captor using 11 backleads!!

Gaffer

I take it (but am probably wrong) that this angler using 11 backleads rowed the baits out and clip on backleads at intervals.

I just cant see how you could you even six backleads without the aid of a boat?

If so how?

I am always worried that I may pull rig out of position while putting backlead on and sliding it down line.

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

Hi Rudd, in both cases, mine and the other anglers', they were attched on the bank and slid down the line.

Yes, there is the worry/likelyhood of moving the rig, but it is possible with lightish backleads and care (by holding the rod tip high, having a slackish line and patience to let the backlead 'glide' down to the lakebed).

On one water that I fish I routinely use 4 clip-on backleads.

Well, there's a mixed bag, s'pose it's a case of experimenting and seeinf what works for me, thanks guys!!!

One good reason to do something is better than a thousand bad excuses not to.

I allways use the captive backleads as they come off on a take, without losing them, allowing you to play the fish without the lead interfering, a great design IMO

[ 24. May 2005, 01:48 PM: Message edited by: Common 40 ]

Have you seen Den (Poledark's) captive back leads they are a brilliant design; hope he responds to this post.

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.