Backleads 2!!

carping_mad

Elo elo :D Everyone alright this fine evening? :D

Right down to the point!

I was wondering again about backleads, i used to use the normal ones a lot, were you slide them down the line when you have cast out, I make my own, and i think they seam to do the job, but after watching Korda 2 i am not to sure, so my querie is about the flying type

Instead of buing these expencive rip off prices flying backleads, do you think i could use a drilled bullit lead instead? of a small weight, i have a few but havnt tried it out yet, because of fear of everything tangling up, it is very light less than a 1/4 of a oz i think :S but do you think this would work? I assumed that their concept is that the air resistance pushes them further up the line, and therfor the bigger the surface area, the more they will slide up the line?

Thanks all. :)

Evening Ant

Theory is spot on but with the captive system it can be attatched and released in a second. the flying type swing and slide on your line when playing a fish all putting more preasure on that all too delicate hook hold?????? :) As do the type Rab's posted i pikky of

yup guessed that mate, but as has been said i dont like the idea of the captives means more unnessassary lines in the water. so will look into it bud, thanks :D

I like my usual ones but they can be a pain to put on and i cant be sure that everything is sittin on the bottom, so will give these ones a try and see how it all works, see if the back lead comes back or not.

Thanks buddy :D

I use captive back leads for all my carping, as I use 3 or 4 rods and have had some horrendous snarl ups in the past. OK if you have a mate to lift your other rods clear, but a nightmare on your own.

As was my wont, I designed and made my own, and have actually applied for a patent which I shall probably be granted later this year.

I applied for the patent simply because it is such a brilliant bit of design (if I may say so :D ) that I did not want to simply give the idea away without at least getting some recognition for it.

Who knows, it may make a few quid!!

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

I used to use backleads when using three or four rods but I always had the theory of most commercial backleads being too light after having runs that lifted the backlead off the bottom of the lake (sometimes they even left the water the carp were moving so fast) before showing any indication at the rod so I made my own using 2.5 - 3 oz leads connected via a john roberts run ring that I had cut with my trace blades in a similar location to the shop bought backleads, these homebrew backleads then acted like a pulley due to the extra weight and the bite detection was much improved.

However since I have now gone back to fishing with two rods only (and not having noticed my catch rate dropping) I have now stopped using backleads totally and fish with a 5ft flurocarbon leader (which sinks like a stone) and a totally slack line (takes a while for the line to settle) with a very light hanger or my swingers with no weight on them.

Obviously waters with weed in or shelves / gravel bars kinda make the use of backleads a no go so maybe if your waters are like this the fluro leader and totally slack lines may help though always make sure the leader knot will allow the leads to fall off if you are not using a lead clip arrangement.

dont bother with them mate there isnt really alot of point with them unless you use them with leadcore flying back leads and very slack lines they dont really do alot. at the end of the day its good to get liners as it helps to find where the fish are.

Just a couple of comments.

Doesnt bother me if the backlead comes out of the water on the take as by then its done its job!

Like any tackle the use of backleads/type of backlead and method of use is dictated by the exact situation you are in.To get it right you need to know the contours/make up (ie weed beds etc) of the bottom between your rod tip and rig.A line held tight by two leads across a gulley or two raised areas will cause even more line bites! it is situations like this that the distance you slide the back lead down the line is important.Back leads can also be fished on slack lines as well as tight.

As well as presentation they are great as Den says for avoiding tangles in the margin when using multiple rods,great for avoiding boats etc,when using ultra tight line tactics great for avoiding birds hitting your line etc etc.Dont need to use them all the time but as I said same as any tackle.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Some good points there Budgie and Den, One other thing though myself and my fishing partner have also had situations where the carp have moved both hook and fixed lead system round (on a clay bottomed lake) to almost 90 degrees from its starting point before any bite was detected at the rod end, has anyone else had this occur (not entirely to do with backleads I know but the only time I have experienced this is when using back leads).

JDW ok its nice to know fish are in the area mate but for me liners are a pain and the last thing I want to do is risk scaring the carp off by having tight lines in the water (I am a believer in giving the fish enough rope to hang themselves)which with running leads and slack lines does the job admirably for me, at the end of the day we all fish differently and have confidence in vastly differing methods and rigs which is exactly how it should be just as long as we enjoy ourselves thats the important thing :)