Long Shank Hooks – Dangerous?

Julian

I notice the ‘Long Shank’ debate has raised its head again. I wondered what people’s views are on these hooks? There’s no doubt they can be deadly effective when it comes to hook hold, but what about carp safety?

I’ve personally witnessed a large amount of double hooking and mouth damage (especially when tench have picked up intended carp baits) when using these hooks, and thus, I’ve made the decision not to use them anymore. Many people I’ve spoken to believe these now popular types of hook should never have reared their heads again after ‘bent’ hooks were effectively banned back in the late eighties; although I appreciate that long shank’s are more ‘curved’ than ‘bent’.

Just wondered what peoples views are on this?

Julian

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Hi Julian, I use the Fox series 5 hooks a lot and have never had nor seen any double hooking (or any other problem) caused by them. However, that doesn't mean that it doesn't happen as there has been too many comments from experienced anglers for this phenominon to be ignored.

If you read between the lines you'll see that most problems occur (if they occur) with pasties and tench.

I think that there are too many variables involved to make a blanket ban on longshanked hooks, this I think is true because some carpers rigs are more susceptable(sp?) to double hooking than others.

There's obviously a combination of hook, hair-length, type of bait, type of hooklength material, length of hooklength, etc, etc, plus the way in which the carp are feeding that causes double hooking.

As far as this subject goes I think I'll keep my bum on the fence for now, or until I experience any problems.

LOng shanked hooks are not a problem.Curved,cranked,piggyback or what ever you want to call a hook that tries to mimick the charecteristics of a bent hook are.Why are we going through all this again?didnt enough damage get done with the origonals before we learnt?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Will somebody help me out and post a picture of the sort of hook you are discussing.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Some interesting points,

Though I think it’s fair to say that any piece of angling equipment can be dangerous in the wrong hands, be it to fish or other anglers on the bank. I’ve had plenty of close calls in the past with stray spods, leads, and even bivvy poles!

However, when it comes to rigs and hooks we’re talking about fish safety, rather than our own. I think it’s a difficult subject, as I fully appreciate that if a competent angler wants to use a method (with no problems) then that’s fine, but unfortunately, I reckon there’s a *much* higher percentage who cannot tie the rig or use the hook correctly and the fish suffer as a result.

As I say, it’s a tough one; do we simply ‘accept’ the damage and hope we can educate those who cause the damage, or just ban them on the basis that you’ll never be able to educate all?

Julian

[ 09. September 2003, 10:30 AM: Message edited by: Julian ]

Mild Mannered Carp Angler By Day…

Read My Blog:Here! View My Gallery: Here!

www.NorthWestcarp.co.uk Home of the Northern Monkey!

Julian:

As I say, it’s a tough one; do we simply ‘accept’ the damage and hope we can educate those who cause the damage, or just ban them on the basis that you’ll never be able to educate all?

The $1,000,000 question!

I've always said that every angler should do a personal, mental, risk assessment for every eventuality. That includes every bit of tackle, every single swim, etc.

Every angler should go through every eventuality using mental "what if's?".

Many don't!

Thanks for the picture gaffer.

Certainly not a hook I'd want to use but not for the same reasons posted on here.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President