Tiger Nuts

mkj

I have found tigernuts to be one of the most selective carp baits around. I have had other species on them, including roach, bream and tench. But not to the extremes of boilies. Cooking intructions must be strictly adhered to. Soak overnight, preferbly for 24hours. Then boil for a min of 30mins. It is best then to leave in the water for a day or so untill they ooze out a thick sticky gloop. This is very sweet and as well as the crunch of the bait is what carp find irresistable.

I have found flavouring and adding sweetner of no advantage whatsoever.

I can reccomend the tins from Dynamite. These work out very expensive if you want to use in bulk, but I would not recommend using in bulk for the reasons mentioned by Steve Burke earlier. A hookbait and a scattering of 20-30 baits is very effective.

Singy

Paul Singleton

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just got back from an overnighter, fishing both rods on tigers, one with 2 tigers balanced, the other single tiger bottom bait. rods fished in seperate areas. ended up with 4 bream and a carp of about 7lb

although i'd agree that tigers will normally produce carp they definately aren't as selective as they used to be.

p.s i know tigers have not been used a lot on this water for a number of years

nuts!

i caught some huge bream from the boat pool on tiger nuts this week.

i see no issue really with buying them ready prepared as you can these days. it reduces the chance that of some noddy using uncooked tigers.

i have caught a lot of carp on tigers and use them all the time. prepared correctly and used wisely they are a top bait. less is more, and it is not my usual tactic to 'heave the tigers in' which results in bans on some waters.

hi steve, regarding banning of nuts on wingham, i see your point, but if an angler is using them in small amounts or single baits, would you perceive them to be a problem? i totally see your reasoning for banning them on waters where carp compete for food. the fish come first.

how badly would / does the growth rate suffer if fish live on tigers? isnt there natural food in most waters to supplement anglers baits? are they not fickle creatures who eat most edible things they come across, regardless of nutritional value?

**sam**

**sam**:

hi steve, regarding banning of nuts on wingham, i see your point, but if an angler is using them in small amounts or single baits, would you perceive them to be a problem?  i totally see your reasoning for banning them on waters where carp compete for food.  the fish come first.

how badly would / does the growth rate suffer if fish live on tigers?  isnt there natural food in most waters to supplement anglers baits?  are they not fickle creatures who eat most edible things they come across, regardless of nutritional value?

**sam**

As I'm after maximum growth at Wingham I don't want the carp eating any nuts at all!

If I allowed small quantities of nuts the other problem would be policing.

I agree with you about ready cooked nuts being a good idea on waters where they're allowed. Dynamite Baits now do cans and jars of them, and if they're as good as their hemp they should be on to a winner.

[ 04 July 2002, 07:27 AM: Message edited by: Steve Burke ]

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Stalker:

Tigernuts or "Horchata de Chufa" to the locals that grow them are tubars of plants grown in European countries.

Stalker - right as far as you went. But to me more precise, they are root nodules from yellow nutsedge which grows as a weed over much of the world. Can't tolerate the UK climate (too cold I think) but Europe for sure along with much of Africa, North America, and probably South America. Not sure about Australia.

Stuff looks lots like a grass but is a true sedge.

Given the ease with which is can be grown and the popularity as a bait item in the UK, I suspect someone could make money growing it in a greenhouse of some sort. Wouldn't have to be much climate change inside for it to do well and with good conditions, you can get an amazing number of tons of the tubers per acre of ground.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Newt,

Spot on with the idea to home grow your Tigers...

I have seen fields that stretch for acres and acres full of them in Spain.....

The preparation of crushing and grinding into milk is good to see.....

Theres a few outlets in the UK now that sell pure Horchata De Chufa...... great for anglers who can mix it up in the groundbait for added attraction.

I have litres and litres of the stuff in the garage.

Theres no need to pay through the nose to the bait companies if you dont want to.....

All the best

Stalker

• 7 years later...
Tigernuts or "Horchata de Chufa" to the locals that grow them are tubars of plants grown in European countries.

Origianlly used to create a milky drink and still used today.

If you holiday in Spain look out for the Chufa drink in the local cafe's...... Its a mikly nutty drink...... People even have it on their corn flakes instead of milk!!! has been drunk for many, many years...

If you want pure Tigernut concentrate by the litre I cant let you know were from.....

Hi stalker would really appreciate the source of tigernut extract please.

Regards

Brian