ever had your rod licence checked?

denzil

The best solution would be loads of EA officials out on the banks all year round. Taking the view that that won't ever happen, you have to look at alternative options.

(The only way it would happen is by raising an awful lot of extra revenue. If thatw as via general taxation, it would annoy everyone in the country. If it was funded solely by anglers, this forum would be lit up like a Christmas tree with fury!)

It makes perfect sense to me that the people best placed to check whether an angler has a valid rod licence is the person about to sell them a ticket for the right to fish their water. No extra funding needed. It may well be unpopular with the fishery owners, but it would have the desired effect and I for one can't think of another viable alternative. If anyone else can suggest one (aside from raising more revenue, as above) I would gladly change my opinion.

The other alternative is to carry on as we are and accept that some people won't buy a licence because the reality is that they're unlikely to ever be checked.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last season I had my licence checked on the bank twice.

I would welcome it if you had to show that you held a rod licence before you could buy a day ticket or club permit, at least it is showing that they care for fish welfare as much as they care about the cash they are taking.

So you havent had any help from the NRA? - maybe you havent told them you need help?. or Maybe you dont need any help? - but if there was a problem and you did need their help then they are just a phone call away.

I'm probably wrong but I cant help wondering if most people who can't be bothered to buy a fishing licence are the same people who wouldn't even be bothered to look after their fish if it meant putting themselves out too much.

Here is something that you might be interested in YOUR Questions Answered by the Environment Agency

Edited by Maggie

They could scrap the licence, which is a tax, altogether and fund it from the public purse. Sea Fisheries Committees come out of your taxes. They'd save a fair bit of money from the wages & pensions that they currently pay bailiffs, as well as the boats, equipment, adverts, etc.

As it stands, we pay to fund the upkeep of waterways for everyone. I don't see how that's fair. On top of that, the majority of us fish at private venues that will probably have no EA involvement in all the time that we're on this planet.

Anglers' Net Shopping Partners - Please Support Your Forum

CLICK HERE for all your Amazon purchases - books, photography equipment, DVD's and more!

CLICK HERE for Go Outdoors. HUGE discounts!

FOLLOW ANGLERS' NET ON TWITTER- CLICK HERE - @anglersnet

PLEASE 'LIKE' US ON FACEBOOK - CLICK HERE

The only thing I have against funding it via the public purse is that I would be worried that the office that dealt with fish and wildlife would be constantly fighting the Canoeeing, boating and other sporting fraternities for a share of the funds, it already has problems with the department that deals with water extraction etc. and most of the public who know nothing about the fish and other wildlife would be putting forward other ideas for the funds and fishing may take a much lower priotity when it comes to their finances.

Why don't they add the money to the Fishing permits (Day tickets, club tickets etc.) or the tackle outlets? or get everyone to buy a rod licence like they do already; I dont ever have any problems when buying one so I can't see the problem that people have in buying them anyway.

I fish a couple of very private estate lakes but we have still needed them in the odd emergency and for their free (not really free as it is paid out of our rod licence money) advice and free usage of air pumps etc. and for the occasional unforseen emergency.

Perhaps they are not so forthcoming in different geographic areas and we have just been lucky?

I also fish rivers which have had a lot of surveys and stockings in the past so maybe I'm a bit biased

Edited by Maggie

I would always fight to retain the rod licence. The fact that such funding comes directly from anglers gives us an essential moral position I would be very loathe to give up.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

I've been checked 3 times in around 10 years of fishing, two most memorable.

The first time, my dad and me were fishing a tiny farm pond, less than an acre in size. It was our first outing of the season and only intended to fish for a few hours one Sunday evening. My dad finally talked himself into getting a license "just in case" and it certainly proved to be a good idea.

The second time was at Horsey Mill on New Years Day, over ten years ago. A chap approached my friend and rambled on about fishing with him for some 5 minutes or so before then asking him to produce his license. Of course should he have carried on up the dyke and seen those fishing the Mere from a boat who shouldn't have been there...

A few years back when licenses were £20ish, I was advised by an employer who was a keen fisherman, "what other sports can you do for a whole year for £20?" which on reflection was a fair question.

I think license fees are very reasonable and if by keeping them lower means there are fewer bailiffs, I'd rather pay less. I don't fish commercials, I fish the Broads and rivers.

As far as I’m concerned the EA do a marvellous job in checking licenses. About 15 years ago there were two occasions when I went fishing without a licence. On the first I’d left it at home and the second was when I took a chance on the only fishing trip I was going to go on that season. It was a bit of a drive and I didn’t want to wait for the Post Office to open (not an excuse).

On both occasions I had my collar felt. A producer, a slapped wrist and a reminder to keep it with me was the first punishment and £70 fine plus costs was the second. I pleaded guilty by post and forwarded copies the previous five years licences in the hope of some mitigation but no chance

I’ll never forget the sinking feeling I got as I notice the NRA (as it was then) logo on this chap’s tie. He was decent type though once he realised how far I’d driven he told me that he wouldn’t be back for the rest of the day.

On all other fishing trips I’ve had my licence with me and it’s never been checked so the EA ‘police’ must be very perceptive.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

As far as I’m concerned the EA do a marvellous job in checking licenses.

We can obviously only base our opininions on what we have actually experienced but this is always my justification for me saying that their checking of licences is in general very,very poor-

http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/Rod-Lic...;hl=Rod+Licence

Might be interesting to hear if any of the guys who posted a few years ago on the thread have noticed any improvement?

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!