Best bait for this time of year

Quest

Some bloody hot soup for yourself mate!

Use the normal baits, but in smaller quantities. Low feed mix with plenty flavour but little food value.

Not really as easy as that Im afraid Quest!

When I was fishing Conningbrook casters were a killing winter bait.But only because there are very few other fish in there! most waters you would be winding in roach after roach!Got to take each water individually.

Things have changed a lot in winter carping since I first started but this is mainly down to higher stocking levels and more importantly more people fishing in the colder months for them.The main effect of this is that bait carries on going in and this seems to keep the fish feeding.

The modern line of thought seems to be use what worked in the summer but cut back on the amount of freebies.Also the highly visual "fluro" pop ups seem to work well.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

hemp seems to work well on some waters too, however the quantity is disputed, some people say use small amounts, but others will use loads -and it will work!! there is no set method of baiting or "a bait" u just have to learn about the water, either by trying certain things or asking other anglers

[ 26. November 2004, 04:05 PM: Message edited by: Blank ]

Whatever floats your boat...

See how I float mine, here

I always thought it was the other way round Alan.

Spicy stuff catches in the Winter, it does for me anyway.

Alan in the 70's and 80's what you say was the accepted thing but in modern years there seems to have been a complete reversal on it as Townlad says! Not done any winter carping for many years so cant say from experience.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I can see the logic of fruit flavours in autumn as it is known that fish eat fallen fruit- I have actually had a small carp on a piece of a cherry as hookbait - but that was at a fishery, not a river.

I tend to use a blue cheese and garlic paste, bread, dog biscuits, worms, maize, maggot and caster when carp fishing. Only when I have time on my hands do I go down the boilie route. All of which is probably reflected in my results!

This is a signature, there are many signatures like it but this one is mine

i use fruit flavours all the time for me they out fish fishy or savoury flavours all year but that might be because more people use the others but the flavours that id like to fish i cant find blackberry and elderberry there two you allways see by lakes and rivers if you no who makes them drop us a line