Kinky spinning wirh Mepps.

john frum

After a couple of recent sessions spinning with Mepps type lures (tied direct) I had a fine set of kinks. I combed them out using the trusty long-grass technique (got a few funny looks from passing dog owners, but...) Years ago I used clear anti-kink vanes that helped a bit, and also half-moon and jardine (shaped into a curve) type anti-kink leads that helped more - but tended to cause wrap-arounds every couple of casts.

Given that everything's got bigger, better, faster and more efficient in the years I've been away (other than the catches of course) has anyone got any recommendations on how to minimise kinks?

Use a snap-swivel for attaching your spinners etc. Make sure it's clean and of good quality or it's basically wasting it's time being there.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

There aren't many waters where I'd tie a spinner direct - always use a wire trace, one with quality swivels to minimise twist.

I can't say I've ever had significant problems with line kinks when using fireline with well made lures but some lures have a metal body cast onto the wire spindle that's just slightly asymetrical. This gives the lure a definate keel and stops the body rotating in the water. I supose you could mimic this efect by bending the wire slightly but I've not had much need to experiment.

One possible source of twist that you may have overlooked is the reel. Check that line roller and make sure it turns freely.

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

You can buy little plastic half moon jobs from many angling shops that are pretty useless as they are. Charlie Bettell, in his book the Art of Lure Fishing, suggests cutting carp anglers cork balls in half and sticking the halves onto each side of the half moon. Its an idea that works and works well. Personally, when making up light traces I use the spare end to create a half moon loop on which I either thread cork balls or swan shot, depending on situation, and that also works well, and costs less!

Peter,

"Personally, when making up light traces I use the spare end to create a half moon loop on which I either thread cork balls or swan shot, depending on situation, and that also works well, and costs less!"

Could you elaborate on this? I get the principle but I'm not clear exactly what you mean. Obviously one approach uses the mass of the shot and the other the buoyancy of the cork, but is it just a question of how much weight you need? Also, having something immediately in front of the lure always looks "wrong" somehow. Whether it does to fish is another question of course.

Also, no-one's mentioned them, but are the expensive ball-bearing swivels still around?

john frum:

Also, no-one's mentioned them, but are the expensive ball-bearing swivels still around?

Yes they are. I've found some on the Harris Angling site this morning - £3.50 for a pack of three. The blurb stated:

BB Swivels have ten tiny ball bearings. They virtually eliminate line-twist, and are particularly valuable for use with spinning lures and in trolling where line twist can be a problem.

Robin

John, when I make a trace up I use crimps. The tail that passes through the crimp is then formed into a half-moon before being crimped about an inch and a half further along the trace. As regards lead, two factors, one being do you want to weight the lure down in the water? The answer to that is suck it and see! If its just to prevent kinking then put on no more than you need to ensure that your swivels work. Whether the 'device is at the lure end or the line end of the trace is a matter of personal preference, circunstance and - - - suck it and see!!

john frum:

Also, having something immediately in front of the lure always looks "wrong" somehow. Whether it does to fish is another question of course.

It looks completely wrong to me, it's just not cricket, however American striped bass anglers swear by teasers - a small fly or rubber lure tied 6 - 12 inches away from a larger lure on the end of the line. The theory is that a fish chasing fry isn't too concerned about being eaten by a larger fish at that moment in time and therefore becomes more attractive to predators. Anecdotally it seems to work.

Jack Pike Hunter Extraordinaire