Washed out baits?

Norfolkdan

Do any of you prefer to use washed out boilies when carp fishing? I've been hearing a lot of stories that big carp are being caught on washed out baits these days, so do any of you use them instead of fresh baits?

Wondering whether it could be a good tactic to winkle out a few of the bigger residents in lakes

Dan

I don't know....it makes sense though.

Assuming bigger carp are old (and wiser) perhaps they've learned that boilies that appear 'less fresh' are -generally- safe targets to pick up and scoff.

My garden pond is going to be **full** of boilies in some of the missus tights this week ready for next weekend :)

Ian W

To be honest guys, i have only used them on the odd occasions, and had no different results to when i am using my own fresh bait, i suppose it could work on some high pressured waters, but if that is the case, then i would possibly stick to using particles, as otherwise you are litteraly washing your money away

(although i never catch anything anyways so :P )

Many moons ago when I fished Stoneacres (Linch Hill) we used to take lake water home in flasks to soak baits in for the next trip. The washed out baits did work for a bit, but it really wasn't worth the effort. It was just one of those fashion things at the time.

I think one of the reasons they may be successful is that many people who make their own baits seem to think that more equals better. They add so much of a flavour, or even several flavours, that the bait actually becomes utterly repellent. They don't seem to realise that fish can detect flavours/odours in minute quantities, so with nostrils burned out by many years of over applying industrial quantities of Lynx aftershave to themselves, they can no longer detect the smell of their own boilies unless the flavours are at near lethal levels. No wonder then, that they become more effective after twelve hours in the water.

[ 12. June 2005, 11:50 PM: Message edited by: Peter Sharpe ]

English as tuppence, changing yet changeless as canal water, nestling in green nowhere, armoured and effete, bold flag-bearer, lotus-fed Miss Havishambling, opsimath and eremite, feudal, still reactionary, Rawlinson End.