bread on the surface

i have recently been fishing at my club lake and have whitnessed several upper 20s fish feeding on bits of bread that i have chucked in,when i freeline a bit to them they go no where near it.I know this could be a due to a lot of things but i think it is because of my cast.It makes a different sound as it hits the water so the fish alomst instinctively know not to touch it.

Are there any casting methods that wont spook them as much,or are there any hooking methods that i should try.

At the moment i am using a bait pin to thread the hook trough the bread and then hooking the crust so it stays on longer.I was using size 12s but these just pulled out on the rare occasion that i got a take.

Any advice?

Floating bait fishing is the most frustrsting type of angling ever invented!!!!!!!!

I have had carp eat almost a whole bag of chum mixers before getting a take.

I now try to get them in a feeding mood which can take over an hour before putting in a baited hook.

One trick I use is to hook through the top of the crust and leave a big bit of bread flake on the underside to cock the bread so the fish cant see the hook.

Also try a lighter hooklength or different brand.

Changing can have instant results

I have used flurocarbon but only if I can get the line over a lilly or something to pull the bait back to as flurocarbon does not float.

If you are missing takes you are striking to early.

Not all swirls round your bait are takes.

I have watched carp bang into floating baits to either check for hook/line or to knock the hook out.

[ 07. May 2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: RUDD ]

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!

no mate the 15lb mono is too thick you might want to scale down to 10lb trilene or if you can 8lb double strength :D the thickness of the 15lb line will easily spook a carp on the top so scale down slightly to get best results :D also maybe vary yoru approach, meaning superglue a single chum on the hook or using a very fine hair double chum drilled out and hair rigged :D excellent way of catching wary carp :D

forgot to mention !! dont keep your eye off the bread as them damn tufties will have it without you seeing !!

[ 09. May 2004, 07:32 PM: Message edited by: Chesh ]

www.stoneyandfriends.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

Bread:- I always like to have a bit of floating crust bobbing in the margins when the ledger's are out. Put out quite a few freebies and listen out for them being gulped down, dip your hookbait in and then place it a good few rods away from mr muncy and hold your rod tight! wait until you see the line moving when he takes else you just pull it out of his mouth, great fun and makes the old ticker go a bit. Expect to get loads of missed hits but at least you know that a fish is interested in your bait.

Chum 'mixers' :-I find wary fish dont like them superglued on, I 'par boil' them - pop them in a small container or bag with a teaspoon of hot water - nuke them in microwave for 20 secs and they will be steamed - they now go rubbery and are easily hooked on (and last quite well), The best 'chummies' can be found at proper pet food stores - they do some decent 50p size ones and cheap too.

Good luck

Toggle

Jealousy: totally irrational anger directed at people who happen to be richer, prettier, thinner, cleverer and more successful than you are.

While we are on the subject, I saw artificial bread flake advertised for both floating and sinking baits, anybody used them? They sound interesting, but do they work??

5460c629-1c4a-480e-b4a4-8faa59fff7d.jpg

fishing is nature's medical prescription

i use this all the time now can leave it out for ages where as the real bread came off after a while i cut a piece off and then pluck bits off it till it looks like bread flake . instead of using controller i know use beachcaster rig lot more successful use a tripod as well with a fox alarm on it as if u are 30 0r more yards out it can be hard to see ur bait

If they are taking close in - try and feed them so close in that you can just dip your crust in with no line on the water. Is this cheating?! It certainly works....

If they are further out how about the cigarette roll rig? Take 1/3 to 1/2 a slice of bread in a strip shape put the hook line over and roll the bread up so the line is in the middle of the roll.... then make a loop with your line and place over the roll and tighten.... that sounds complicated but it isn't... you can cast it miles.... and if you attach a lead you can fish at distance in windy conditions and keep it still... and if (when) the ducks come you can tighten up so that sinks and then slacken down and it rises back up... downside is that you get lots of missed takes cos the hooking arrangement isn't great...

thornabyangler:

Are there any casting methods that wont spook them as much,or are there any hooking methods that i should try.

You could try using French stick, loads of crust. We found that using the bottom of the bred roll/stick works well. Thread 2 bits up the line and one on the hook. Try using a controler with a good 3 to 4 foot trace, very lightly grease the trace to about a foot from the hook, this will help it float. Cast beyond your freebies and then slowly pull your bait amongst the freebies. We found that a lot of Carp will mouth the bait first and then take.

There is a better alternative to bread, try either mini marshmallows or use the big ones cut into 4 seperate baits. They stay on the hook for several casts, don't pull off the hook when winding back from the cast, and the fish love em.

You will still miss more takes than you hook up but the above might help improve things.

Good luck.

Alan

ps the birds don't like marshmellows much, too sticky when wet

ANMC Founder Member. . www.the-lounge.org.uk/valley/