New, Please help

Raxs

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for all the advice im 18 dont know how to change the junior thing. i did some research and im going to use a reel as aposed to a pole. I saw a good carp starter kit but i will take your advice and look for the correct gear :)

Hi Raxs and welcome :)

The 'junior member' bit is a reference to you just joining AN, not about your age ;)

You've already got some good advice from here (we are a friendly bunch normally), but personally I would leave off the carp until you get experience in catching/playing/unhooking fish. All too often a newcomer to angling desires the biggest and best fish and therefore goes after carp - not realising that the larger specimens (those over 40lb anyway) have mostly only been caught after an extended fishing session (often lasting several days), or a prolonged campaign on a particular venue. Also carp kits often leave a lot to be desired, so when it's time for you to go carping choose your own stuff rather than what some retailer (such as Argos) thinks you should buy.

As for the idiots in the tackle shop, if you can, choose another shop....

John S

Quanti Canicula Ille In Fenestra

Species caught in 2017 Common Ash, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, White Willow.

Species caught in 2016: Alder, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Crab Apple, Left Earlobe, Pedunculate Oak, Rock Whitebeam, Scots Pine, Smooth-leaved Elm, Swan, Wayfaring tree.

Species caught in 2015: Ash, Bird Cherry, Black-Headed Gull, Common Hazel, Common Whitebeam, Elder, Field Maple, Gorse, Puma, Sessile Oak, White Willow.

Species caught in 2014: Big Angry Man's Ear, Blackthorn, Common Ash, Common Whitebeam, Downy Birch, European Beech, European Holly, Hawthorn, Hazel, Scots Pine, Wych Elm.
Species caught in 2013: Beech, Elder, Hawthorn, Oak, Right Earlobe, Scots Pine.

Species caught in 2012: Ash, Aspen, Beech, Big Nasty Stinging Nettle, Birch, Copper Beech, Grey Willow, Holly, Hazel, Oak, Wasp Nest (that was a really bad day), White Poplar.
Species caught in 2011: Blackthorn, Crab Apple, Elder, Fir, Hawthorn, Horse Chestnut, Oak, Passing Dog, Rowan, Sycamore, Willow.
Species caught in 2010: Ash, Beech, Birch, Elder, Elm, Gorse, Mullberry, Oak, Poplar, Rowan, Sloe, Willow, Yew.

Guest Chris Perch

Hi, found some shotting patterns on the web as below remember not to overshot your waggler as it will sink.

This is a good method for carp, Bream and tench during the summer months.(Its called the lift method and as its name emplies the bites you get will lift the float up out of the water then go under) a great method for large fish.

float_liftmethod.jpg

Try watching this short video on shotting a peacock waggler.

http://www.gofishing.co.uk/Videos/Fishing-...tting-patterns/

Or this article on fishing the waggler.

http://www.fishing.co.uk/article.php3?id=1857

Hi, just found this site (Tacklebargains.co.uk) offering John wilson Avon / Quiver rod at 49.99

+ Fladen reel for £10.

B)

http://www.tacklebargains.co.uk/acatalog/O...er_Rods_12.html

Thanks, its £44 with the reel! they have 30% off this is great! I was expecting to spend a lot more but given what advice I have had I dont really need to :) wow looks a nice rod too. Thanks again Chris

Hi Raxs and welcome :)

The 'junior member' bit is a reference to you just joining AN, not about your age ;)

You've already got some good advice from here (we are a friendly bunch normally), but personally I would leave off the carp until you get experience in catching/playing/unhooking fish. All too often a newcomer to angling desires the biggest and best fish and therefore goes after carp - not realising that the larger specimens (those over 40lb anyway) have mostly only been caught after an extended fishing session (often lasting several days), or a prolonged campaign on a particular venue. Also carp kits often leave a lot to be desired, so when it's time for you to go carping choose your own stuff rather than what some retailer (such as Argos) thinks you should buy.

As for the idiots in the tackle shop, if you can, choose another shop....

Ah right ok then B) I thought i maybe could catch other fish with it too. I dont think i want the big fish yet as im not experienced enough and wouldnt know what to do. Thanks for the help, I have 3 tackle shops near by so its their loss really

Guest Chris Perch

Just a thought but before you buy a rod you should check that the rod is the one with the avon top and the quiver top as there are several rods in the John Wilson Range.

Tight Lines - Chris.

Guest Chris Perch
Thanks, its £44 with the reel! they have 30% off this is great! I was expecting to spend a lot more but given what advice I have had I dont really need to :) wow looks a nice rod too. Thanks again Chris

Hi Before buying the rod check that its the one with the avon top and quiver top as this is more versatile and will more suit your needs.

The one that has the 11ft to 13 ft extention is even better and will be better for long casting.

Tight Lines Chris. :thumbs:

Hi Before buying the rod check that its the one with the avon top and quiver top as this is more versatile and will more suit your needs.

The one that has the 11ft to 13 ft extention is even better and will be better for long casting.

Tight Lines Chris. :thumbs:

John Wilson Project M Avon Quiver Rod - Save 30% Plus Half Price Reel Offer

RRP £49.95

The John Wilson Project M Avon / Quiver System is built on a superb high modulus blank. Compact three piece construction and perfect for the mobile angler.

Is this right? ^

Sorry about all my questions! but just to clarify does my hook and bait need to be on the lake bed? Or does it need to hang in the water? If it needs to be on the lake bed should I buy one of these floats that slowly sink (cant remember the name of it).

i think the best thing yo u can invest in is a good beginners book by the sounds!! you don't want to go in all guns blazing buying this and that without the knowledge of how to use it as you will get to the bankside, not catch a thing and then decide fishing isn't for you and we will have lost you!!

wait wait wait, dip, strike, net, wait wait wait.....