Fake Bait

Shanghai Lilly

Guest tigger

I know if you use fake corn for e.g. on a bolt rig it's unlikley the fish will swallow it but it is possible if the rig snaps off. I have no doubt that a pike would swallow a dead bait even with a 5 inch peice of poly or balsa wood buried in it and I just can't see how on earth it would pass through it's system.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For some time now its been best practice amongst pikers to ensure that the "pop up" material is attached securely to the trace with wire so it cant be lost/left in a lost bait for a pike to swallow.

As for plastic/rubber corn/maggots etc If they can pass nuts whole Im sure that a torn off fake bait will present no problems. As for smaller fish that couldnt pass them I dont think they would swallow them or be able to pull them off the hook in the first place.

A bit of panic mongering and a definate indication of their lack of knowledge when fisheries ban them IMO.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

Guest tigger
For some time now its been best practice amongst pikers to ensure that the "pop up" material is attached securely to the trace with wire so it cant be lost/left in a lost bait for a pike to swallow.

As for plastic/rubber corn/maggots etc If they can pass nuts whole Im sure that a torn off fake bait will present no problems. As for smaller fish that couldnt pass them I dont think they would swallow them or be able to pull them off the hook in the first place.

Budgie there's plenty people who won't bother securing the pop up material to stop it being swallowed. Lets face it it's easier to just stuff the thing in the bait and most numpties will do just that.

At the end of the day if someone wants to use fake baits that's up to them, personally I'll stick with the real thing for my own peace of mind and also because it just wouldn't feel like "propper fishing" to me Tenching with plakky baits :rolleyes:

Budgie there's plenty people who won't bother securing the pop up material to stop it being swallowed. Lets face it it's easier to just stuff the thing in the bait and most numpties will do just that.

Sadly I suspect your right mate but its the same with most things in that every thing is open to being used wrong.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

It's nice to know someone reads my blog! :)

A bit of panic mongering and a definate indication of their lack of knowledge when fisheries ban them IMO.

The way I see it is that if you loose fed plastic baits the fish wouldn't swallow them. They suck up stones and stuff but don't eat them, so they wouldn't eat plastic baits. They might not be very smart but they know what is and isn't food.

As for fishing with plastic baits not being 'proper' fishing. Well, a rock hard pellet is not much different to a plastic one.

Anyway, I've used fake maggots on the waggler to catch rudd and a few roach when I was getting so many bites I got fed up of rebaiting with real maggots. I picked up a perch on that set up, too.

I've also had a few perch to over 3lb on plastic casters on bolt rigs - I don't feed casters, by the way, just red maggots.

My first fish on plastic corn was a bream. The bait was fished direct on the hook to a longish tail and a running rig.

So the concept that plastic baits only work on self hooking rigs for fish that grub about sucking and blowing is a little flawed IMO. I have yet to catch a roach on a legered plastic bait, though - except when I've put real maggots on the hook.

Give 'em a go.

Dave

dlstsig.png

Guest tigger
It's nice to know someone reads my blog! :)

The way I see it is that if you loose fed plastic baits the fish wouldn't swallow them. They suck up stones and stuff but don't eat them, so they wouldn't eat plastic baits. They might not be very smart but they know what is and isn't food.

As for fishing with plastic baits not being 'proper' fishing. Well, a rock hard pellet is not much different to a plastic one.

Anyway, I've used fake maggots on the waggler to catch rudd and a few roach when I was getting so many bites I got fed up of rebaiting with real maggots. I picked up a perch on that set up, too.

I've also had a few perch to over 3lb on plastic casters on bolt rigs - I don't feed casters, by the way, just red maggots.

My first fish on plastic corn was a bream. The bait was fished direct on the hook to a longish tail and a running rig.

So the concept that plastic baits only work on self hooking rigs for fish that grub about sucking and blowing is a little flawed IMO. I have yet to catch a roach on a legered plastic bait, though - except when I've put real maggots on the hook.

Give 'em a go.

What you say does make sense Dave and most probably the fish are very unlikly to swallow a plastic bait so I hold my hands up ....I'm probably wrong about them unless of course the fish does swallow it and then I would still say it's cutrains for the fish.

I still think the pike pop ups are on top and deffo wouldn't use them unless used in the manner Budgie described. I didn't know you had a blog.....I look forward to reading it :thumbs:

It's a bit of a mental block casting out a couple of bits of rubber, but once you've had a few fish on them you won't look back!

Exhibit A M'lud!

Bead-Head-Pheasant-Tail-Nymph.jpg

Exhibit A M'lud!

Bead-Head-Pheasant-Tail-Nymph.jpg

Ha ha! :lol: Excellent point Steve!

(Explanation here: http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/forums/upstrea...-t1432195.html)

Tigger, I agree with what you say about pike pop-ups, but I don't think you can call those fake baits.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

Guest tigger
Tigger, I agree with what you say about pike pop-ups, but I don't think you can call those fake baits.

Of course I can call em man :lol: It doesn't mean I'm right now does it :unsure:

Appart from the swallowing bit which is unlikley I just can't get my head round them, just doesn't seem right some how. I suppose if I did try them I'd have to use it as a aid to pop the real maggots or corn up so I'd feel better having some genuine grub on the hook........if you know what I mean.

I'm probably wrong about them unless of course the fish does swallow it and then I would still say it's cutrains for the fish.

I think that might depend on the size of the bait relative to the size of the fish - a big bream should have no problem passing a grain of plastic corn for example, but a small roach might.

Dave

dlstsig.png