cost of salmon fishing v coarse fishing

The Flying Tench

I was sitting in a waiting room today and flipped through a country type mag about Scotland. Interesting to hear that the value of salmon beats on the Tweed has gone up because of a record number of salmon taken last year of (from memory) 20,000. The amazing thing was that the cost per salmon was £10,000. If I understood it correctly that means that, if you paid £10,000 for your salmon fishing in a year, you were likely to catch one salmon - and that was in a record year! Sounds unbelievable - maybe I have misunderstood? It would, after all, mean that the total paid for salmon fishing on the Tweed last year was £200million! Are there really that many failed bankers, pop stars and footballers who go fishing?

It puts our gripes about otters into perspective. On a recent thread one club said, understandably, that they couldn't afford £11,000 for fencing. But if our whiskered friends are taking salmon it costs £10,000 per fish!

But maybe this is a lot of nonsense because I have misunderstood what the article meant by a cost of £10,000 per fish?

After going through the tight Scots tax returns, this will come as a helluva shock to Her Majesty's Tax Inspectors! :clap2:

it's all 'horses for courses' - if you want to spend a fortune on salmon fishing, its easy to do so. You can also spend the same amount on coarse fishing if you want - just go and buy one of those supa-dupa poles you see every week in AT.

Articles like the one mentioned are talking about the overall cost-benefit to the local economy, and not how much one angler will pay to catch one, two or any number of salmon. These articles appear regularly in the salmon monthly mags.

If money is tight, and you want to catch salmon on a budget, then there's nothing to stop you, but you must do the homework first. Its sometimes hard, but its not impossible.

it's all 'horses for courses' - if you want to spend a fortune on salmon fishing, its easy to do so. You can also spend the same amount on coarse fishing if you want - just go and buy one of those supa-dupa poles you see every week in AT.

Articles like the one mentioned are talking about the overall cost-benefit to the local economy, and not how much one angler will pay to catch one, two or any number of salmon. These articles appear regularly in the salmon monthly mags.

If money is tight, and you want to catch salmon on a budget, then there's nothing to stop you, but you must do the homework first. Its sometimes hard, but its not impossible.

Absolutely, I know of four rivers in my area, two of which are probably amongst the best known English salmon rivers that can be fished for on a club ticket and day tickets for a fiver. Some of the stretches are free! One salmon and one sea-trout last year (admittedly rather small), the salmon on my regular club stretch and the sea-trout on a free stretch so no extra cost except the salmon licence!

Eating wild caught fish is good for my health, reduces food miles and keeps me fit trying to catch them........it's my choice to do it, not yours to stop me!

I asked in a local tackle shop whether there was any reasonably priced river (trout) fishing locally - the answer was that they hold two rods on a local river for £50 a day... Clearly these things are all relative!