Slack Lines

costers

I am starting to go back to the original ways of carping, by this i mean fishing my rods fairly high off the ground so i can rest my hangers about half way between buzzer and ground, (back drops are common in my water) and so then if you look at the way the line enter the water, there is ALWAYS (yes even if you fish tight) a slight bow in the line, maybe not so much if you was fishing very close in but and medium to long distance there is always a slight bow in the mineline, (as i fish leadcore) I am totaly confident that the last few feet will be resting on the bottom fine without any problems. My water is very weedy so i normaly put some PVA foam and a bag on the hook, to keep everything floating for a few seconds so it comes to rest gently on the bottom, but thats going off topic, IMHO i belive that in most situations backleads are not needed, unless you are fishing crystal clear nothing on the bottom pits, then i would have no problem puting backleads on, but i dont think in most situations that backleads are really needed.

If that makes sence, then thats MHO. all the best chaps :)

[ 17. July 2005, 01:38 PM: Message edited by: carping_mad ]

Try to get a look at the Korda underwater carp fishing videos. They really show you the affects of back leading and slack lining. As can be seen different bottoms call for different tactics. They are excellent films but prove that there is no hard and fast answer. You pays your money and takes your choice.

Cheers.

Bill

i agree with bill, the korda videos really open your eyes. they have changed the way i think about whats going on under the surface.i never used to use backleads and had a fairly good catch rate but in the last few years i have no confidence in the set-up if the line is up in the water. just my preference now!

i fished slack lines in the margins this evening for the 1st time ever and managed two carp, both quite small but its still a result and a method i will be using again in the future.

steve.