Slack Lines

costers

What does fishing with a slack line really mean? How does it work? How do you set it up? A bit tongue in cheek I know but I suspect 10 people would give me ten different answers. is it too late for an old dog to learn new tricks? Does Omo really wash whites whiter? (sorry thats the Zinfandel :D )

Slack lining means to leave your line slack so that your mainline lays flat on the lake bed so as not to spook the fish, It is quite difficult to set up without using a very light indicater as when you clip up it tends to keep pulling line in untill it is tight again.

Unless I am fishing in the margins I never fish slack lines, prefering to fish back leads instead. I am always worried that a fish will pick up the bait and run towards me which means I wouldnt see anything at the indicaters. If I was forced to use slack lines then I would probably use a running lead set up with a heavy lead so that which ever way the fish moved then the line would be pulled through the lead resulting in movement at the indicaters. Dont know if this answers your question but these are my views on slack lining.

Ant

[ 12. July 2005, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: Anthony78 ]

Effort equals reward!!

i feel completely inconfident (if thats a word) of using backleads, i feel by just resting on the botton by usin slack lines if far better then pullin your lead into the bottom that could have snagy debris on the bottom that your line could get pulled into or mussel beds, creating a tight line over one of them with a backlead holding your line to the bottom, just results in disaster, and you mite not even know that it is there. wheras using a slack line you have a better chance of on a take the line lifting of the bootom os the line tightens. used with a running lead i think that the indication is un beatable!

I can see both viewpoints. I suppose if the bed were covered with debris weeds etc then a slack line approach may not be so vital but if the bed is clear say winter then slack line would come into its own. I'll have to try it out.

When you cast out do you wind down on the lead and then slacken off with the light indicator or leave it after casting?

Slack lines are Ok unless there is an undertow (usually is) and then you end up with a semi tight line anyway........pin it down with a backlead..

Den

"When through the woods and forest glades I wanderAnd hear the birds sing sweetly in the trees;When I look down from lofty mountain grandeur,And hear the brook, and feel the breeze;and see the waves crash on the shore,Then sings my soul..................

for all you Spodders. https://youtu.be/XYxsY-FbSic

Unless fishing ultra close range I agree with Den.

Dont realy see the point of using a back lead with a slack line though? anyone care to enlighten me?

[ 13. July 2005, 10:21 PM: Message edited by: BUDGIE ]

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!