MY RIVERSIDE WALK.....

Janet

Janet, that river looks really tempting, and you go fish mud holes!!!!

What??????? :o :o :o :o :o

Wash your mouth out Peter! My little club lake is far from being a mud hole!

Yes, the river is very good, and I've had some very good days there. I taught myself how to fish (or how to muddle through!) on its banks and on the local canal. Now I have a new job that involves a lot less travelling, I will be able to get on the bank for a couple of hours before and after work once the season starts again.....

Janet

PS. Do you have a shed at the bottom of your garden? If so, can I come and live there please.....

Sorreeeeeeeeee & Humble apologies, Janet!

Re the shed, yes, you would be welcome! Small problem, due to the internal colour scheme, pink & purple, its known locally as the 'tarts boudoire'. You might get some funny looks if you move in!!

No barbel, a big chub is rare, but the pike, perch, bream, roach, rudd and mullet all run to specimen sizes. Oh, and the nuisance carp in the area run to over forty pounds.

Unfortunately the stream that runs through our town only has a few stickebacks and minnows plus a few released goldfish but a mile away is an estate lake that I fish that a lot of people in town are not even aware of and the nearest river is the river colne which is also around a mile away followed by the upper river Lea which is around 10 miles away and is the best river near to me.

I would love to have a river like yours just down the road; I am feeling very jealous Janet :D .

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

I really ought to make more of it!

At the bottom of my street the river is no more than a foot or so deep in places - you could wade across in wellies without getting your feet wet. However, it is a spate river, and during the heavy rain last year the river rose to well above the level of the footpath where I took my photographs. It was very spectacular to see. Luckily it also drops very quickly, or I'd have to walk the long way round on my way to work!

There is a lovely stretch a mile or so upstream, but it's leased to a fly fishing club, and their annual membership of £160 plus a joining fee is beyond my current means. Several nearby stretches are leased to another local coarse angling club, and their membership fees of £25.00 or so are much more reasonable.

However, in this little free stretch, I caught this, right under the bridge that carries the main road over the river, next to the supermarket. I would never have thought that there were fish of this size and quality right under my nose!

4lb3ozbrownie.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture quality - it was taken on a mobile phone a couple of years ago. I doubt I'll ever catch anything quite as satisfying again! Brownie or sea trout? I really don't know - I'd only been fishing for a three months when I caught it. The angler who took the picture for me said it was a brownie, one of the biggest he'd ever seen from this river.

Janet

I really ought to make more of it!

At the bottom of my street the river is no more than a foot or so deep in places - you could wade across in wellies without getting your feet wet. However, it is a spate river, and during the heavy rain last year the river rose to well above the level of the footpath where I took my photographs. It was very spectacular to see. Luckily it also drops very quickly, or I'd have to walk the long way round on my way to work!

There is a lovely stretch a mile or so upstream, but it's leased to a fly fishing club, and their annual membership of £160 plus a joining fee is beyond my current means. Several nearby stretches are leased to another local coarse angling club, and their membership fees of £25.00 or so are much more reasonable.

However, in this little free stretch, I caught this, right under the bridge that carries the main road over the river, next to the supermarket. I would never have thought that there were fish of this size and quality right under my nose!

4lb3ozbrownie.jpg

Apologies for the poor picture quality - it was taken on a mobile phone a couple of years ago. I doubt I'll ever catch anything quite as satisfying again! Brownie or sea trout? I really don't know - I'd only been fishing for a three months when I caught it. The angler who took the picture for me said it was a brownie, one of the biggest he'd ever seen from this river.

Janet

A trout like that is a very satisfying catch,and the rivers are getting cleaner all the time so I wouldn't give up hope of catching a bigger one if I were you.The biggest I have had up to now is a 4lb 4oz brownie,but I have been smashed off by something considerably bigger.

It was indeed a satisfying catch! Took me all over the river before I finally landed it...

Your comment about the rivers getting cleaner all the time couldn't be more true. I've only lived here for twenty years, and in that time I've seen this little river going from what was no more than an open sewer to being (for the most part) a clean and green environment for both fish and wildlife. Only last week I spotted two kingfishers on my way to work, and a heron just by the bridge. Now, instead of seeing foul smelling foam floating in the margins, I see clear water and shoals of fry. It's not perfect, but it's getting there!

My fishing buddy remembers when he moved up here 35 years ago and the river was coloured red with all the toxins and dyes that were released into it.

Janet

I have acces to a length further downstream towards Whalley with RADAC some nice grayling in it I took Wendy Perry there on one occasion

My club have the rights to a stretch near Whalley too; opposite the golf course?

Must take a trip there in the new season!