MY RIVERSIDE WALK.....

Janet

I walk this way every morning on the way to the bus stop...

Yes, I have been late for work several times, sitting on the bank and watching chub huddling under the trees and more recently, brownies rising and sipping flies off the surface.

Some days the water is gin clear...other days it is the colour of milky coffee or molten chocolate (depending whether I'm on a diet or not!)

All this is at the bottom of my street, no more than a couple of hundred yards away from home. It's also no more than a few hundred yards away from the middle of town, with all the incumbent noise/numpty's/traffic/supermarkets etc.

To cap it all, the fishing is free, as there's a dispute about ownership...

I really think I should get my arse in gear this year and see what lies beneath the surface....local knowledge says there's pike, perch, tench, carp, grayling, roach, rudd and the inevitable brownies....salmon have also been photographed trying to get up the local weir....this river used to be no more than a running sewer....now it's host to a variety of fish and wildlife and is a stunning example of rags to riches....

I caught my first ever carp just down from our local supermarket...only a tiddler mirror carp of about 2lbs, but it was a fish! I've had brownies up to over 4lb from here....I don't know who was more surprised, me or the fish! Sadly my biggest brownie ended up baked with butter and herbs....now I know better, and all fish are returned.

SS850416.jpg

SS850415.jpg

SS850420.jpg

SS850421.jpg

SS850422.jpg

SS850424.jpg

SS850425.jpg

SS850427.jpg

SS850430.jpg

SS850431.jpg

What have YOU got on your doorstep?

Janet

That looks a very nice stretch of river,but what is it like when all the dog walkers come out?.There is an estate pond just up the road from me(coppice pond you might of heard of it)its a beatiful place first thing in the morning,but as the day wears on more and more dog walkers appear.There is a sign that clearly states dogs must be kept under control and not allowed in the water,it might as well be written in arabic.There is a stretch of the river aire I often fish though where you hardly ever see any body,you will probably know it at broughton near skipton.

Edited by dapper64

What have YOU got on your doorstep?

Nothing quite like that Janet, I have Letcombe Brook which runs past John Betjeman's old residence into Wantage town centre, a great walk but I don't know if I can fish it, I'll post some pics later. Your stream is crying out for a bit of centrepin exploration, or even light fly gear. If I lived there I don't think I'd ever get to work.

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

This little stream runs round my village and is about 100 metres from my brothers new house ,Gonna have to visit more often

STREAMSLUICE004.jpg

STREAMSLUICE003.jpg

That would make me late for work as well Janet and a good chance of throwing a few sickies :lol: Steve.

We are not putting it back it is a lump now put that curry down and go and get the scales

have I told you abouit the cruise control on my Volvo ,,,,,,,bla bla bla Barder rod has it come yet?? and don`t even start me on Chris Lythe :bleh::icecream:

Havent got nothing right on my doorstep but my local strech of suffolk stour is only five minutes drive from mine. Its a lovely strech that gets very little attention. Apart from the swims near where you park where you get the odd pleasure angler the rest of the strech is rarely fished as in the summer months it is very overgrown and hard going to get to the good swims. Dipite there being chub to over 5ib and a few elusive barbel to double figure no body realy bothers with it. Certainly in my neck of the woods the rivers get little attention, I know this varies from county to county depending on the rivers but it suits me fine. The more quiet hours mooching alone the better for me.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.

There is a stretch of the river aire I often fish though where you hardly ever see any body,you will probably know it at broughton near skipton.

I fish it regularly and it's a lovely bit of water

Janet is that the upper part of the Calder??

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical

minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which

holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Believe it or not Alan, that's the Calder running through the middle of Padiham! There are some cracking chub in there, right under the bridge by the supermarket.

Further upstream and downstream is much pleasanter - I just wanted to show what was available right on my doorstep. I think it's a very neglected and underused stretch of water.

Janet

bradford no1 or bradford city?

Bradford City and Keighley further down cracking waters with both clubs

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan

Believe it or not Alan, that's the Calder running through the middle of Padiham! There are some cracking chub in there, right under the bridge by the supermarket.

Further upstream and downstream is much pleasanter - I just wanted to show what was available right on my doorstep. I think it's a very neglected and underused stretch of water.

Janet

I have acces to a length further downstream towards Whalley with RADAC some nice grayling in it I took Wendy Perry there on one occasion

by the clean end"

Cheers

Alan