pike markings

poledark

When I was a kid, we used to fish Bassenthwaite lake in the Lake District, and we often caught what we called blue Pike.

These fish were normal pike in every respect, but had a distinct blue green cast to them rather than the usual olive green.

Has anyone else had similar fish from other waters, I certainly have never seen them since and I do not know if they are still caught on Bassenthwaite.

[ 23. February 2005, 12:20 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

I think that photos can alter the way pike appear depending on the angle of the light - and if flash is used. This may account for pike from one water appearing to have diffferent markings.

Re Bassenthwaite pike. They certainly did (do?) bave a distinct blueish sheen to them (which never showed up in any of my photos), and a very noticable dark spot under the gill plate. I think all pike have that dark spot, but it shows up more in some waters than others. Bass pike are totally different to pike I have caught from the other Cumbrian lakes. Not fished there for ten years or more, but my guess is they're the same. We always blamed Sellafield!!

Dave

dlstsig.png

"When I was a kid we used to fish Bassenthwaite lake in the Lake District, and we often caufght what we called blue Pike.

These fish were normal pike in every respect, but had a distinct blue green cast to them rather than the usual olive green."

"Re Bassenthwaite pike. They certainly did (do?) bave a distinct blueish sheen to them (which never showed up in any of my photos), "

Tony/Dave

Last time me and a few friends fished grasmere, one of the pike caught fits your description!..

we thought it was the light, it definitely had a blue tinge to it.....

bizarre

Andy

"I like to keep a bottle of stimulant handy in case I see a snake, which I also keep handy."

- WC Fields

try here, http://www.beanpix.com/image/6519635815299

http://www.beanpix.com/image/6516279644942

Sorry! I always have trouble with photos

edit note: I removed a couple of posts that pointed to bad links (404 file not found). These work fine and nice looking fish. Newt

[ 23. February 2005, 04:19 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Effort equals reward!!

a shot of esox's markings,resting from the battle.

funny one fish colour i caught a good fish a few years ago,she was a real light colour,but you could see her markings(she werent grey looking),well cut a long story short i stalked and cuaght her last october(unkown at the time it was the same fish) this time however she had lost a little wieght,nothing major-it was october early days.but her colours!my god,i have never seen such a green pike in al my life beautyfull green body with bright yellow spots,a lower weight but in fine sporting trim with colours like that i wasnt complaining.funny thing is she had been around a large lily/weedbed everytime i had seen her so maybe thats why she changed colours,before she was plotted up under a bridge and in deeper water.

Posted Image

[ 25. February 2005, 07:17 AM: Message edited by: Ratty46 ]

AKA RATTY

LondonBikers.Com....Suzuki SV1000S K3 Rider and Predator Crazy Angler!