Reccomend a hook pattern

Anderoo

For tench and bream I need a new hook pattern that is:

- strong

- not shiny

- micro barbed

- slightly in-turned point

- slightly in-turned eye

Any reccomendations? The straight point hooks I've been using turn over on gravel too easily and it's getting expensive!

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tigger
For tench and bream I need a new hook pattern that is:

- strong

- not shiny

- micro barbed

- slightly in-turned point

- slightly in-turned eye

Any reccomendations? The straight point hooks I've been using turn over on gravel too easily and it's getting expensive!

The obvious one to me would be the kamasan animal, appart from the fact that it's shinny. Maybe you could colour/disguise it with a marker or something ? As I've said before it was the shniness of the animals that put me off a bit but I've found it doesn't seem to make the fish shy off at all, who knows it might help as fish will sometimes go for shinny objects.

The obvious one to me would be the kamasan animal, appart from the fact that it's shinny. Maybe you could colour/disguise it with a marker or something ? As I've said before it was the shniness of the animals that put me off a bit but I've found it doesn't seem to make the fish shy off at all, who knows it might help as fish will sometimes go for shinny objects.

Cheers Tigger, yes, that is a decent suggestion. As you say though, I don't like how shiny they are, and I think the barbs are quite large too. I usually use them in smaller sizes (18-10), I'll have to have a look at the bigger ones and see what they're like.

I should have said, I'm looking for sizes 8 and 10.

And those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music

As tigger said Kamasan Animals are a good hook.

Another hook that I have lots of confidence in when fishing over gravel is the Fox 'SSBP' Armour Point hooks.

They stay very sharp for a long time over gravel which is what they were designed for and they come in the sort of sizes you are looking for. Plus they are Teflon hooks and are not that shiny.

They seem to pass all of your requirements.

gallery_13295_274_13018.jpg

Edited by BoldBear

Happiness is Fish shaped (it used to be woman shaped but the wife is getting on a bit now)

Guest tigger

They look like corkers BB but for the price of one pack of those you can get three packs of kamasan's. If your like me and like to put a new hook on at least one every trip then they'd be expensive. I know they say you can re use/sharpen your hooks but to me you can't get them as sharp as when there fresh out the pack.

Edited by tigger

As tigger said Kamasan Animals are a good hook.

Another hook that I have lots of confidence in when fishing over gravel is the Fox 'SSBP' Armour Point hooks.

They stay very sharp for a long time over gravel which is what they were designed for and they come in the sort of sizes you are looking for. Plus they are Teflon hooks and are not that shiny.

They seem to pass all of your requirements.

gallery_13295_274_13018.jpg

Thanks BB, they look perfect! Exactly what I'm looking for. Another one that looks good is the Drennan Barbel Maxx, but I prefer the shape of the Fox ones.

If they stay sharp over gravel, my life is about to get much easier :)

You guys need to buy a good hook sharpener.The ONLY one I use is the Diamond Eze-lap.Just as sharp as a chemically sharpened hook and really easy to use just three small strokes.

Anderoo I will sahow you at Wingham.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

You guys need to buy a good hook sharpener.The ONLY one I use is the Diamond Eze-lap.Just as sharp as a chemically sharpened hook and really easy to use just three small strokes.

Anderoo I will sahow you at Wingham.

Aha, interesting. Thanks Budgie. Does it work on the modern carp type hooks?

The ESP raptors I've been using are brilliant - but only briefly!

EDIT: just had a look on ebay and there are several different types. What exactly do I need?

Edited by Anderoo

Hi there,

Have a look at the Drennan boilie hook sizes 8,10 and 12, they are very strong, but made with medium gauge carbon wire and have a low profile micro barb together with a reverse bend and wide gap, they may suit your needs.

Regards.

Fishing seems to be my favorite form of loafing.

"Even a bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work."

I know the joy of fishes in the river through my own joy, as I go walking along the same river.

What do you think if the float does not dip, try again I think.