Float fishing

Sting Ray

Hi All,

I'am new to fishing and was after some advice on float fishing as iam not sure where iam going wrong. I've been fishing twice with a float and only ever caught 2 small fish. I dont seem to be catching at all. My brother is nearly getting 1 fish per cast and is using the same bait. When i set up the float i use a plummet to find the depth, and then once i have, i place the correct shots for the floats. Iam using a size 16 barbless hook and the float is a waggler float. As for bait i've tried corn and also placing 2 maggots on the hook.

Please can you help as i cant understand where iam going wrong, and it's knocking my confidence a bit,lol :( .

You dont really give much information concerning the venue but i'll try with what little info you give,

With a waggler put most of the shot right next to the float and put only a few down the line a method i was taught when just starting was a number 6 shot just beyond half way between hook and base of float ( if you fold the line at this point the hook wont reach the float)

then just beyond halfway between this shot and the hook place a size 8 shot

repeat this until yout bottom shot is between 4 -8 inches from the hook

You can reduce the shot size as you go if you choose but its better to have the smallest shot next to the hook.

Assuming its a still water (canal, pond, lake etc) feed 6 maggots every cast or 2 minutes which evers sooner if there seems to be more fish there increase the frequency of the loose feed rather than the amount first. Especially with maggots dont be tempted to throw in one big handful and leave it twenty minutes before the next handful.

I would also reduce to a single maggot.

A lot depends on the venue and what species your aiming to catch

hope this helps a bit

Terry

everytime i catch a fish i'm lucky when i blank i'm a hopeless angler.

Hi All,

I'am new to fishing and was after some advice on float fishing as iam not sure where iam going wrong. I've been fishing twice with a float and only ever caught 2 small fish. I dont seem to be catching at all. My brother is nearly getting 1 fish per cast and is using the same bait. When i set up the float i use a plummet to find the depth, and then once i have, i place the correct shots for the floats. Iam using a size 16 barbless hook and the float is a waggler float. As for bait i've tried corn and also placing 2 maggots on the hook.

Please can you help as i cant understand where iam going wrong, and it's knocking my confidence a bit,lol :( .

If you are fishing the same depth and bait as your brother, then I'd say the problem could be your hooklength being to heavy or your hook to big.

Rich

Thanks for the replies guys,

Sorry i should have said, it's a lake, it's around 3 - 5 foot deep. The lake itself Stocks Rud, roach, perch, bream, carp. As iam float fishing, iam not really targeting a particular species right now as iam new to fishing and trying to get the basic understanding of the set up's and how it works.

If i was to target Rud, Roach, Perch, is it better for me to change from a size 16 to an 18 hook?

There could be any number of reasons, and small changes can make a big difference.

Having said that, sometimes even using the same tackle with the same bait in the same swim one angler outfishes another. It may be something on your hands, for instance sunscreen, insect repellant or nicotine.

However when I've been teaching newcomers there's 2 common reasons for not catching as much. The first is feeding. What's best will vary from water to water, and day to day. In general though it pays to feed little and often. For instance on many heavilly-stocked commercials an initial handful of maggots followed by half a dozen every time you get a bite is often productive.

The second is presentation, and here one of the commonest problems is that the line isn't sunk, which it should be in most cases on stillwaters. To sink the line you need to overcast, flip the rod top upwind to straighten the line and then immediately put it under the water and wind in sharply.

Edited by Steve Burke

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

There could be any number of reasons, and small changes can make a big difference.

Having said that, sometimes even using the same tackle with the same bait in the same swim one angler outfishes another. It may be something on your hands, for instance sunscreen, insect repellant or nicotine.

However when I've been teaching newcomers there's 2 common reasons for not catching as much. The first is feeding. What's best will vary from water to water, and day to day. In general though it pays to feed little and often. For instance on many heavilly-stocked commercials an initial handful of maggots followed by half a dozen every time you get a bite is often productive.

The second is presentation, and here one of the commonest problems is that the line isn't sunk, which it should be in most cases on stillwaters. To sink the line you need to overcast, flip the rod top upwind to straighten the line and then immediately put it under the water and wind in sharply.

Thank you for the info, i'll give it a try.

Sorry forgot to mention, the reason why my bro wont help a where having a bit of a friendly competition going and he's winning 30 fish to my 2 lol

Thank you for the info, i'll give it a try.

Sorry forgot to mention, the reason why my bro wont help a where having a bit of a friendly competition going and he's winning 30 fish to my 2 lol

Hi mate, welcome to AN.

You say your not catching, but are you at least getting bites?

If you are, but can't hit them, then try moving your 'tell tale' shot (the one nearest the hook), further away a little at a time, until you do start hitting them.

If you are getting bites but they're not registering on the float (you're getting squashed maggots), then move it closer a bit at a time, until they do register.

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John

Hi mate, welcome to AN.

You say your not catching, but are you at least getting bites?

If you are, but can't hit them, then try moving your 'tell tale' shot (the one nearest the hook), further away a little at a time, until you do start hitting them.

If you are getting bites but they're not registering on the float (you're getting squashed maggots), then move it closer a bit at a time, until they do register.

John.

Hi,

Thank you for your help. Iam getting bites but not hooking the fish, i've noticed the fish are taking the float under for a few seconds, then it reapears and it happens a few more times and then goes quiet. I've tried to vary the strike but no luck. I'll try moving the shot nearest to the hook and see how it goes. Thank you.

Hi,

Thank you for your help. Iam getting bites but not hooking the fish, i've noticed the fish are taking the float under for a few seconds, then it reapears and it happens a few more times and then goes quiet. I've tried to vary the strike but no luck. I'll try moving the shot nearest to the hook and see how it goes. Thank you.

A float doesn't have to go under to signal a bite. A dip, a movement to one side, it not settling properly, a lift, can all signal a bite.

If the fish are taking your float under for a "few seconds", you should have struck earlier, unless they are very small minnows or sticklebacks, playing with your bait.

You might need to go for a smaller hook, single maggot, or a different float to try and solve the problem. Without actually seeing your set up, it's difficult to say.

Good Luck

John.

Angling is more than just catching fish, if it wasn't it would just be called 'catching'......... John