sweet corn hookbait loose feed which one?

danny29

Danny, if your lake has a silty bottom and if its allowed - and you should check first - try dragging your swim. Make a drag from a rake head and a stout rope - you want to make sure you can pull it back in. Throwing it out and dragging it back in a few times before you fish will stir up the bottom and release loads of natural foods from within the silt. Tench love it and I have had many a good days tenching in a dragged swim - float fishing maggot or worm on the bottom. Be sensible though - if you've got people fishing near you they may not appreciate it very much! Only do it the once per session as well - you don't want to be dropping it on the heads of feeding fish that have moved into your swim.

....Here's to swimming with bow-legged women....

cidermonkey:

Danny, if your lake has a silty bottom - try dragging your swim.

That's interesting, 'cos the one situation where I have found dragging a no-no is over a silty bottom.

Weeds and gravel, yes - drag by all means.

Dragging over silty estate lakes and ponds in the High Weald just stirs up a stink in my experience.

Perhaps there is a difference in what the two of us mean by "silt" - worth exploring further.

If the bottom is silty, then plants such as giant reed mace and yellow flag grow in the margins. Sit quietly and watch the stems of those plants - if they move independently of the wind, there are tench feeding off the watersnails etc adhering to the stems. (carp do so as well - and that can be a bit of a problem if you are after tench)

Drop a lobworm down close to the stems, and you will most likely be in business.

[ 04. September 2005, 09:38 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

• 2 weeks later...

sweet corn over trout pellets is a good method with a size forteen hook. worm and sweetcorn cocktail on a size 12 is also worth thinking about. i fish a gravel pit and spend time looking for any drop offs with a plummet. off the marginal shelf is a good area with a float and loose feed the pellets. good luck weather on sunday looks good for tench.

take a look at my blog

http://chubcatcher.blogspot.co.uk/

Rabbit - as I said earlier in this thread

Note to all - lets please get this thread back on the original track and save all the non-related and non-essential yak yak for Non Fishing rather than messing with Danny Taylor's very legit topic.

Newt

[ 18. September 2005, 01:07 PM: Message edited by: Newt ]

Fastd:

I find explosiv feeder is very good as it attracts fish but contains a lot of crushed hemp shell which doesn't over feed a fish before its found your bait. I mix this 50:50 with plain brown crumb, the rough ground stuff is better with explosive as it doesnt abosrb as much water and so works well with the drier explosive mix.

If you are fishing water over 10 ft deep use a finer ground crumb to hold it in he feeder longer while the feeder reaches the bottom.

Hope this helps, and let us know how u get on   :)  

Dave

I use Explosive Feeder (when I can get it!!) with coarse brown crumb also but I add a spoonful or two of PV1 Colant to the mix if I'm feeder fishing in deeper water.

Egg also works as a binder btw. You might also want to try custard powder. That also acts as a binder, being an egg product but it also has the advantage of being sweet. Oh yes, it also creates an excellent cloud.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...