"Our friends" the French may pay for third babies?

Blindhog

Elton, congratulations to the 2 of you from the 2 of us! :)

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Malthusian ideas (that there is a natural limit to population before disaster or famine takes over and restores the balance)have gone in and out of fashion over the years, but the fact remains that if thoroughly nice people like us don't reproduce, what are we left with? :D

Some couples make a lifestyle choice. Others may not be able to have children - usually much to their regret.

I decided to have 2 kids. More would have increased the world population rather than maintained it. No financial incentive would have made me decide otherwise. Only my first wife's wishes may have done so.

However, we have freedom of choice in Europe. Unlike China for instance. See http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/internatio...m?id=1970062005

Wingham Specimen Coarse & Carp Syndicates www.winghamfisheries.co.uk Beautiful, peaceful, little fished gravel pit syndicates in Kent with very big fish. 2017 Forum Fish-In Sat May 6 to Mon May 8. Articles http://www.anglersnet.co.uk/steveburke.htm Index of all my articles on Angler's Net

Corydoras

We both have index linked contributory pensions so the State pension is not likely to be our most important source of income.

I do not hold with the quasi-relegious idea that we were put on this earth to reproduce the fact that we are sentient beings allows us to make our own choices.

Davy Malthusian theory is only consistant in that it is usually found wanting, William Godwins counter essays on population, which postulate production can expand to meet the needs of a growing population, are closer to the truth.

[ 22. September 2005, 11:01 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Steve Burke:

No financial incentive would have made me decide otherwise. Only my first wife's wishes may have done so.

Not even a 0% income tax rate? I admire your scruples.

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote

Tony U:

Davy Malthusian theory is only consistant in that it is usually found wanting, William Godwins counter essays on population, which postulate production can expand to meet the needs of a growing population, are closer to the truth.

Quite. But will expanding production end up killing us anyway?

DavyR:

[Quite. But will expanding production end up killing us anyway?

Probably but not as quickly as we first thought.

Tony

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Am I the only person who thinks that child benefit, working families tax credit, additions to income suport for people with kids, free school meals and a plethora of other benefits to encourage the unemployed and the low paid to have more kids is insaine ?

I really do believe that if you can't afford kids, don't have them.

I resent being told that I'll have to work till I'm 72 in order to pay the taxes to spawn yet another generation of chavs.

Actually, where I'm currently living, that's more like Chavdul's and Chavanadabhai's.

[ 21. September 2005, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Ken L ]

Species caught in 2020: Barbel. European Eel. Bleak. Perch. Pike.

Species caught in 2019: Pike. Bream. Tench. Chub. Common Carp. European Eel. Barbel. Bleak. Dace.

Species caught in 2018: Perch. Bream. Rainbow Trout. Brown Trout. Chub. Roach. Carp. European Eel.

Species caught in 2017: Siamese carp. Striped catfish. Rohu. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Black Minnow Shark. Perch. Chub. Brown Trout. Pike. Bream. Roach. Rudd. Bleak. Common Carp.

Species caught in 2016: Siamese carp. Jullien's golden carp. Striped catfish. Mekong catfish. Amazon red tail catfish. Arapaima. Alligator gar. Rohu. Black Minnow Shark. Roach, Bream, Perch, Ballan Wrasse. Rudd. Common Carp. Pike. Zander. Chub. Bleak.

Species caught in 2015: Brown Trout. Roach. Bream. Terrapin. Eel. Barbel. Pike. Chub.

Ken L:

Am I the only person who thinks that child benefit, working families tax credit, additions to income suport for people with kids, free school meals and a plethora of other benefits to encourage the unemployed and the low paid to have more kids is insaine ?

I really do believe that if you can't afford kids, don't have them.

I resent being told that I'll have to work till I'm 72 in order to pay the taxes to spawn yet another generation of chavs.

Actually, where I'm currently living, that's more like Chavdul's and Chavanadabhai's.

So only the wealthy have the right to bear children? Old Adolph would have loved you.

[ 21. September 2005, 04:35 PM: Message edited by: corydoras ]

The problem isn't what people don't know, it's what they know that just ain't so.
Vaut mieux ne rien dire et passer pour un con que de parler et prouver que t'en est un!
Mi, ch’fais toudis à m’mote