Petrol markets

Scapanapper

Dan - The supermarkets have to be buying off the big companies since none (to my knowledge) own any refineries/crude production plants - and I suspect the big boys are in control of every existing plant worldwide.

That said I've definitely heard stories and rumours. I suppose though any petrol station can have occasional quality issues for varying factors though.

Ian W

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

you just stop buying from the big two ,it don't matter if the rest get there petrol/diesel from the moon , if you dont buy from 1 retailer he don't make any sales therefor he will have to lower his price to entice people to buy from him if he don't then his stations close,

get it now .......

cpranim.gif

15/06/12 PB Perch 3 lb 10 oz 03/03/11 Common Carp 23lb 6 oz 05/06/12 Sturgeon 7 lb 13 oz 06/06/12 Mirror Carp 21 lb 2 oz

09/03/13 PB PIKE 27 lb 9 ozARNO3010CustomImage1086535.gif

err dont they buy from a refinery and i think we have 2 or 3 in the uk :confused: they should all cost the same bar the quantity sales mark down ,petrol would be cheap if the government stopped taxing it ,we all acuse the petrol companies but in their tiny cut of the cost they have to account for the complete trail to the pumps wheras the gove gets the lions share for doing nothing more than collecting the tax.

its not just petrol but scratch cards as well the gov gets a huge cut compared with the company who makes them.

lots of other taxes ,nothing to get into the country but £20 to get out ,even tax on things that have already been taxed :mad:

how many in small businesses can get huge sums of money from the government not many ,become a huge company and the government cant give you enough of tax payers money :rolleyes:

we pay high tax because we stupidly pay them ,we dont take the government to task ,riots and blood on the streets change their minds and the companies they get backhanders from in fake chairmanships etc losing money (and their chairmen getting less bribes) getting bloody noses also make them think.

everyone pays the same for petrol (the price of crude is decided by a cartel, illegal in most as its a monopoly) only the taxes on it makes the difference between the countries price wise

[ 03. September 2005, 06:15 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

Its far easier to curse the darkness than light one candle

Mathew 4:19

Grangers law : anything i say will  turn out the opposite or not happen at all!

Life insurance? you wont enjoy a penny!

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

we were (untill it closed down)paying 99.9p a litre in our local all year in commuter belt surrey ,so with the extra transport costs way oop norf probably not really that expensive.

despite their price promise the bp garage 500 yards from sainsbury is 4p a litre more and another on the A3 8p a litre less expensive than a garage 3 hundreds yards away ,you pay it it stays the same ,refuse! it comes down or the offending retailer closes down ,no loss there then :D

quote:

Besides as far as I know the fuel that comes to Orkney originated as North sea crude and was refined at Grangemouth.

the price is still dictated by a far east grossly overpaid kiddy fiddling "monarchs" and their gross friends and encouraged by the west

[ 03. September 2005, 06:32 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Believe NOTHING anyones says or writes unless you witness it yourself and even then your eyes can deceive you

None of this "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" crap it just means i have at least two enemies!

There is only one opinion i listen to ,its mine and its ALWAYS right even when its wrong

"To compel a man to furnish contributions of money for the propagation of opinions which he disbelieves and abhors, is sinful and tyrannical." Thomas Jefferson

Yes Chesters the fuel is transported further.But strangely, the fuel over in Scrabster is usually a couple of pence cheaper than here in Orkney. However the ship that delivers it comes here first then goes there making it a longer distance to transport so why the lower price???

Couldn't be anything to do with competition could it :confused:

BTW it's no wonder your local station had to shut if they were charging that much in leafy Surrey.

:confused: :confused:

Scapa

it closed because the chap didnt need the expense of getting new pumps these elderly beasts couldnt go above 99.9p ,he also never advertised the prices except on the pump "dial" plenty of nieve "foreigners" used it before realising and ofcourse the rich locals for prestige factors.

it was 95.9 for 2 years before that

[ 03. September 2005, 06:36 PM: Message edited by: chesters1 ]

Isn't part of the answer to use less high priced petrol?

How?

Drive differently!

- Increase speed gently.

- Slow down before you need to start braking.

- Leave plenty of room between you and the car in front, so that you can ease off when they slow, instead of wasting energy by braking.

- Don't drive around with an unnecesary luggage rack, carrying uneeded stuff around in the boot, don't fill your tank more than halfway (increased weight means increased fuel to be burned)

- Plan trips to cut out unnecesary driving (instead of dropping off the kids, going home for a cup of tea, then going to the supermarket; drop off kids, collect the groceries then go home for tea!)

- Drive at an energy efficient speed 55-57mph instead of 80.

Your petrol consumption (and the amount you pay in taxation should decrease significantly)

- Don't use the car when you can walk or cycle, especially for popping down the shops

- Visit local places instead of driving half way across the country for a day out.

-Watch a video instead of driving to the multiplex

-Do some gardening instead of visiting relatives

The petrol suppliers and the chancellor should be getting p*****d off with you by now!

Why so much tax on petrol?

It's supposedly vital to our 'modern' society, a strategic necessity for our way of life.

We need to maintain an army to preserve our supply line, and be prepared to invade other countries when future supplies are threatened.

It's right that oil should be taxed to raise the money to defend our right to buy it!

And of course accidents happen.

Oil-spill clean up is expensive, and is paid for by the taxes raised on it's sale.

Then there is the pollution and congestion caused by it's use, that costs a lot too.

And the health services needed because of it's use, either from breathing the toxic nasties, diesel particles, or from smashed bodies when the energy generated by burning it is expended in speeding metal meeting flesh and bone.

Not all of that oil tax money goes into Jersey bank accounts!

But as I illustrated above, to a greater or lesser extent the amount that you pay is down to you, like speeding fines, mostly a voluntary tax.

Do you really want to punish the oil companies and the exchequer, really make a difference?

Stop using so much!

Tight Lines - leon

[ 03. September 2005, 06:57 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

On a more positive note, at least for those amongst us who blame the trawlers for a lack of fish, is that the price of fuel is beginning to make a lot of fishing effort too expensive.

The beamers are tying up at Newlyn.

And the EU is looking at introducing a scheme to compensate vessels that tie up because of high fuel prices.

Just as high oil prices makes extraction of difficult to get at oil economic, high prices make fishing in certain circumstances uneconomic. eg, long trips, long relatively unproductive tows etc

But it isn't all 'good' news.

That old bogeyman 'effort displacement' comes into play.

Rather than burn a lot of fuel going after prime fish a long way away, it may become more economic to hit other species nearer to shore.

Rather than tow a shellfish dredge, it could be more economic to set gill nets etc.

Tight Lines - leon

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

chesters1:

the price is still dictated by a far east grossly overpaid kiddy fiddling "monarchs" and their gross friends and encouraged by the west

I didn't realise that Michael Jackson was in the oil business :rolleyes: