Petrol markets

Scapanapper

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And can anyone tell me why diesel has gone up so much? It never used to be more than petrol, infact it used to be much cheaper,(espesially as it costs less to produce) could it be that GB is getting back at the lorry drivers for getting at him a few years ago or has he seen that there are a lot of diesels on the roads these days and wants more from them.

I've been to Scrabster... and I want to go back!!!

David.W:

And can anyone tell me why diesel has gone up so much?

Laws of supply and demand.

When demand goes up faster than the supply, then the price goes up.

It's not shortage of stuff in the ground, or getting it out.

It's shortage of capacity to refine the stuff to meet rapidly increasing world demand.

As more and more people switch to diesel, unless/until the refining capacity can adequately meet the demand, the price will increase.

Tight Lines - leon

[ 06. September 2005, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Leon Roskilly ]

RNLI Shoreline Member

Member of the Angling Trust

Leon Roskilly:

-Do some gardening instead of visiting relatives

Better still, get your relatives to visit and help you with the garden :D

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

I see Gordon was on telly doing his best to try and avert the lorry drivers blockading next week.

He actually thinks the UK public are stupid enough to fall for the:

"We should try and sort out the problems in the Mexican Gulf with supply which will reduce the cost of fuel (or words to that affect)."

What he doesn't say is that he is now taking about 74p in the pound on fuel, which is much (much) better than six months, 2 years or 8 years ago. I do not generally support unions, strikes or any form of industrial protest, but fuel protesting I am adamant is necessary. If tax has to be so high on a single product to support our economy perhaps he ought to add a penny or two to income tax, spread the problem around everyone.

As I've said, this is not Esso or BP's fault, but protest at their refineries and shut them down AND the chancellor would have to react....Remember these companies contribute billions to the economy through their own profits/tax AND the duty on the products they sell.

If nothing is done (before anyone starts) we will all start to feel it anyway since supermarkets etc will pass on the costs. The rate of duty needs cutting on fuel (even if only temporary) so that the revenue from fuel is the same as it was a year ago - this will mean petrol would drop (overnight) to about 85 to 87p per litre AND OUR ECONOMY SHOULD BE NO WORSE OFF!!

Ian W