Redundancy

Norrie

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Voluntary redundancy packages are usually better than you'll get under a compulsory redundancy.

Lots of people hang on in jobs they don't like and make right nuisance of themselves while they are still there, and get a big shock as the small minimum sum they end up with.

People working in government usually get better redundacy deals than people in the real world outside.

If you work out your notice period and take all the holiday you are entitled to, then the lump sum is often nothing special. Different if you are in a job where you can do a lot of damage within the firm's computer system. Then you are asked to pack up and leave immediately before you can do any damage and your payments in lieu of notice etc make it attractive.

The mortgage insurance thing complicates matters!!!!!!!!!!

Get a lawyer to read the small print in your policy.

Your employer might play ball with 'some sort of deal' if you go to them with your circumstances.

[ 12. May 2004, 09:06 AM: Message edited by: Jim Roper ]

https://www.harbourbridgelakes.com/

Pisces mortui solum cum flumine natant

You get more bites on Anglers Net

If your insurances have the normal small print then they are probably impacted if you volunteer. Certainly it impacts job seeker allowance. Your insurances will also not pay out until any period of "paid in lieu of notice" has expired. I.e. If you get six months in lieu of notice then it is 6 months until they will start paying out. The amount you get a serverance i.e. x weeks per year worked does not impact either job seeker allowance or insurance if redundancy was compulsary.

norrie,with the bit about the contracts and hours two points,1.is the company really closing or just doing a sneaky change of workers.watch them it could be unfair dismissal.

2.could they use the refusal to sign the contracts as an excuse not to pay redundancy,it could be asly way of saying they offered an alternative and it was turned down thus making yourselfs redundant.

after reading one of my old law at work books to see if there was anything to help i can only say see the citizens advice because it can be complicated.

one bit i could understand is they have by law to give you payed time off to go to interviews etc up to 40% of the working week.

hope it works out well in the end

euan

later guys i`m going fishing

Hiya, Just got back from holiday,thanks for the replies folks. I have a meeting on Thursday to speak with the HR chappie. I dont think its a way of getting a new set of workers after the old ones not signing the new contract,because two admin staff have got their finishing date,and they signed the new contract.We who get paid off are getting no time at all to find a new job, the meeting on the 20th, then out of work on the 1st June. The Union beckons tomorrow I think. I'm the only member.The others were too scared to join,and I'm not going to any meeting without a union rep with me.As I said, I will keep you up to speed on this.To say I'm disgusted with the firm is an understatement to say the least.

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

I was offered voluntary redundancy a few years back. I counter claimed for constructive dismissal, and won! Whilst the claim was going through I took on another job, at more money. So I ended up with a reasonable settlement, and a better job at much more money! And I was past the big 50 when it happened!

No two situations are ever quite the same. But life has a remarkable capacity for surprise, if you just go with the flow!

Just be cheeky, and apply for any job that you fancy! Pick and choose. I became a salesman, something I never saw myself as, but I earned far more than I had previously. And now I work mainly as a designer/photographer, with sales as a sideline. And I'm loving it.

It worked out for me, it will for you.

as peter says, you have to go for it, otherwise you wont get it, whatever IT is. i'm sure things will work out, i may need a scottish sales rep for my flourishing powerpro sales team

Peter/jon, Thanks for that, I really do fancy a change from driving trucks all bleedin day,but, hopefully have one or two ideas in the pipeline. Jon, wot commission do I get..... :D Just watched your reporter pal on telly, wot a programme she did, on dodgy security firms.while I'm here, did you read about the Argylls last week, in Iraq....

In sleep every dog dreams of food,and I, a fisherman,dream of fish..

Theocritis..

For Fantastic rods,and rebuilds. http://www.alba-rods.co.uk/

i did indeed norrie, do you mean the bayonets in the 21st century? they're a mean set of lads!

i'm glad you enjoyed the security firm prog. (nothing to do with me unfortunately)

I worked for a small shipping company that went bankrupt when I was 19.

Turned up for work one day and was not allowed into the office. The boss gave me a box with my stuff in it and told me to go and sign on, then to see the citizens advice with regards to wages etc.

I was owed a months wages, redundancy money and four weeks holiday money.

Due to the sh!t laws in this country I was told that first the banks, then the creditors and lastly the redundant employees would receive their money.

It took me a year to get my money and even then it came via the social security who told me to spend it as if I put it in my bank account I would not receive any benefits as I had received some income!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RUDD

Different floats for different folks!