Centrepin ratchet & drag.

Guest tigger

Guest tigger

Has anyone ever used a centrepin without drag or a ratchet? I know drag isn't an essential thing as obviously you can use your finger to create drag but i would have thought a ratchet an essential thing on a centrepin if only to stop your reel from spinning round as you walk or if you get a fish and are unhooking it.

Any thoughts appreciated.Cheers

Tigger.

I used to have an old bakelite centrepin which had a broken ratchet, so I used a rubber band looped round the rod handle and hooked over a reel handle for setting up, rebaiting, roving etc.

Thankfully I can afford decent gear now, and I have a selection of Leeds reels, and a Youngs BJ, all of which have some form of drag or ratchet.

Where's the 'ANY' key?

If you have a reel with no ratchet it is a simple matter to slip a wide elastic band over the drum/backplate to stop it turning. I do this even with a ratchet.

Oops, some Wag slipped a reply in whilst I was typing. Same answer, so obviously a good tip :)

[ 26. August 2005, 12:22 PM: Message edited by: paul whiteing ]

my "rolls royce" centre-pin has no rachet or drag

if i'am ledgering i use a wooden peg and clamp it

onto the rim it has a link (old line)to another

thats clampt onto a rod rest the peg is able to

stop the spool from turning but will let it slip under pressure (like a drag)untill it falls off

or you strike pulling it off

owls22dx.gif

Chavender
I try to be funny... but sometimes I merely look it! hello.gif Steve

I've got a couple of pins with no drag or ratchet, to keep it all in place when walking I put a little bit of tension into the rod with the line and then put the hook into one of the holes or around a spoke and then put a turn of line (from almost next to the hook) around one of the handles. Works for me. :)