your own comercial pool

thornabyangler

I am very interested in making my own commercial bagging pond.I have no idea where to start though.Do i buy a house with some land then go from there,or is it best to keep it away from ur home and buy a field somewhere?Also, how much does it cost to build a lake,to stock it etc etc etc etc.My head ahs the idea there ,I just need the facts so i can write up an action plan.

I would realy appreciate any help.

Also,are ther any grants i can recieve for businesses etc?And is it true that the government still give grants under the land diversification clause?

So many questions,sorry,i am just a bit clueless at the moment.

I can't help feeling this is a bit of a daydream: 'do I start by buying a house with some land?'! Seriously, if you want to own your own fishery, and have the capital, you should buy a fishery. I know of only one person who started out by digging his own pond, and that was a farm-owner who already owned the land. There was a huge amount of red-tape for this pond, which was only about 1/2 acre: natural water-courses, water tables etc. all had to be investigated before permission to dig was given. If you buy a fishery as a going concern, you're much more likely to get the loan, or grant, that you need, because it will have a current value, rather than a projected one. I'd advise caution, too, because fisheries aren't big money-spinners, even when they are popular...

You meet all kinds of animal on the riverbank.

Boggy,marsh land where the water table is high can be brought very cheaply....because it aint no good to build houses on or farm on! The same reasons that cause this also make it very suitable for creating fisheries on.Ask Bernie Brown who built and owns Tanyard Fisheries and Aquatics.I hate people turning existing natural mixed fisheries into commercial carp puddles but when you dig your own I think there is no harm done.I dont know if Bernie is still digging ponds but look him up.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

If you really want a pool (or pools) with a house on the same site, for goodness sake buy a house with suitable land - it is far easier to get consent for the fisheries than to do the reverse (justify a house against one or more existing fisheries). I usually - and current do - have half a dozen clients who are trying to justify a house against fisheries, and these Planning Applications often get refused, meaning that a re-submission or an Appeal is necessary. Both are fraught with problems and expense, and neither has a predictable outcome.

Boggy land is fine, but remember that you will have to keep the removed material (= spoil) on site; carting it away is too costly and may cause your Planning Application to fail. Better to find a sloping site, with good, imperveous clay beneath the surface - your pool (or pools) can then be stepped into the hillside, with some of the spoil used to build-up the water-retaining embankments on the downhill side. this construction method is known as 'cut-and-fill' and is usually the most cost effective way of building a lake.

My rule of thumb is that you can use no more than about half of the available land as water (although you may get away with 55-60%); the rest is for spoil disposal, car parking, access to the site boundaries & pool margins, etc. Thus, for a two acre pool you will need about four acres of land.

Costs? It depends on the site and - importantly - how much land you have to renmove before you hit water (or water-retaining clay). As a guide, you could budget for fishery + fish at about £25-£30k/acre.

Think, too, about the likely consultees at Planning - local residents, the Highways authorities, the EA. An idyllic location down a minor country lane in a beautiful location near a salmon river may well fail; a brown field site near a major road is a far better bet.

Re: grants. You will not be eligible for a grant or lottery funding for a commercial pool. The only real money is via the Rural Enterprise Scheme (RES)for bona fide farm diversification. See my article on grant aid in the 'articles' section of Anglers Net.

Finally, seek professional advice before you go too far into the project or purchase a site. About 150 of my 1,100+ fisheries management assignments have been on new-build fisheries, so I should know what to look for and how to proceed.

By all means email me if you really are interested in an actual project.

[ 29. March 2004, 11:01 PM: Message edited by: Bruno Broughton ]

Bruno

www.bruno-broughton.co.uk

'He who laughs, lasts'

I rather like the idea of my own pool! Coming from someone with the Broads at the end of his garden that might seem odd! But I fancy the idea of a small, private lake. Customers, can't be doing with them, urghhh!! But a small lake is going nowhere, it never hurries! A nice stock of crucians, roach and rudd, and maybe a bream or two for bulk, bliss! A few close friends, a bevvy in a lakeside timber bivvy, chatting about angling, perfic!!!

Peter Waller:

A few close friends, a bevvy in a lakeside timber bivvy, chatting about angling, perfic!!!

And a satellite TV connection, Peter, don't forget the REALLY vital stuff, now!

Good job I reminded you, ay? :D

Terry :D

And on the eighth day God created carp fishing...and he saw that it was pukka.