Dental Phobia's

Emz

Has anyone got a phobia of the dentist?

Managed to overcome it?

I've got a friend who is literally Sh*t scared of the dentist and he has very troubled teeth. He's 21 and hasn't been the dentist since the age of 13 and he is so petrifed of what the dentist is going to say / do that he just keeps getting stressed and putting it off.

At the moment he has got 1 infected tooth at the back and it is giving a nasty discharge off. If he doesn't get it sorted soon that will likely turn into an absess (sp) :(

Any guys any suggestions on what to do? He's a really close friend and I'm really stuck on what to do to help him out, because he is just that petrifed of them

- Emz

Find out who you live by - www.frappr.com/anfriendsmap

Check out Crystal's New Website! :)

Don't forget to sign her guestbook :D

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Came up in the AN banner.

He should have it checked. I'm sure it would feel much better... Reminiscent of Tom Hanks in Castaway

[ 12. July 2005, 11:11 AM: Message edited by: Jeff S ]

Jeff

Piscator non solum piscatur.

Yellow Prowler13

2274389822_1033c38a0e_s.jpg

Ask me at 75...

Guest NickInTheNorth

There are dentists that specialize in treating nervous patients, and if you can find one of those in the local area talk to them and see what they say. It is a common problem, and they really do try and help.

In general I have found that the newer the dentist the quicker, easier and less stressful the treatment.

Also it may be worth looking for a female dentist, as it is less generally less threatening having a woman getting right into your personal space than a man.

Unfortunately there are no magic answers, in the end it is down to your friend to bite the bullet and go to the dentist, but hopefully some of the above can help.

I can completely empathise with him as I am still terrified of the thought of going to the dentists. I was at least as bad as your friend was for many years, after being treated by an absolute butcher as a child, who was eventually struck off.

Wish this I'd known of this bunch a few years ago:

http://www.nervousofdentistry.co.uk/who.htm

[ 12. July 2005, 11:22 AM: Message edited by: NickInTheNorth ]

Leon Roskilly:

People have died from leaving a tooth abcess too long!

:(

Leon Roskilly:

http://www.gentledentistry.co.uk

Tight Lines - leon

Thats the closest to him (He lives in Bridewater). All the other practices are in Manchester...

Thanks Leon :)

- Emz

i am the same im very very scared of them but belive me if it does turn really nasty your mate will go as the pain gets so bad its the only thing you can do scared or not btw the discharge hes having probley is a abesse and what ever pain killer you use wont work i feel for him

Just spoke to the mentioned above dentist practice in bournemouth and they said that he could go there for emergency treatment (to treat his immediate problem)and they said that they are very good with nervous patients.

Its just getting him to see one :(

Worst ways, I'm thinking that he can go the the doc* to get some antibiotics to help clear up the infected area and then in his own time, go to see the dentist to sort out his other problemed teeth.

*Mam is petrifed of the dentist too. She had an absess and got some pills from the doc to clear it up. That worked. But then to rid the tooth she got ****** and got a pair of pliers If I can help it, I don't want him resorting to those measures!!

- Emz

I have a problem with dentists that is the opposite of your friends. Dentists will not treat me. I am allergic to Local Anaesthetics and quite a few antibiotics, aspirin, bee and wasp stings, shellfish...... I have to have a general Anaesthetic in hospital and I have even had allergic reactions in there and ended up in ICU. I get an abscess and have to go on a waiting list for the hospital. Eventually it gets so bad that I become an emergency, I had to have bone grafts from my hip once to repair my top jaw due to the damage the abscess had done.

Your friend should bite the bullet and go, at least he has te option, dentists are used to phobias, contact your local community dental service and explain his phobia and they will recomend a sympathetic dentist, please don't leave it, it will not get better without treatment.

I am allergic to blood or at least the anti-coagulant they use; I blew up like a balloon the one and only time I had a blood transfusion.

I appreciate your problem Chris.

Tony

[ 12. July 2005, 12:11 PM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Chris Parker, I think my mum possible has your condition too. Not sure if what my mum has is an allergy but her body does react different to other people (she was concious through a cesarean section, hence her fears of the medical profession)

It can't be easy for you :(

My dads in the same boots tho, because he's diabetic, all dental treatment has to be done through the hospital, which means massive waiting lists

- Emz