What kind of flys

Gillies

Took 30 mins away from the computer today, and went outside with the camera - trying to shoot 2-3 Wrens that are nesting around here as they dart around ... didnt get any decent shots, in the end I think they were just taking the ....

Anyway, while waiting for them took a few shots of birds and flys, anyone have any ideas of the species of the flys? apart from the Bumble Bee obviously :)

Photo's are not the best of quality, but you get the general idea from them - lens I had on was not a close up lens.

blackbird.jpg

bee_blue.jpg

dungfly.jpg

Dung Fly?

biter.jpg

A kind of Cleg?

noidea_fly.jpg

Always see plenty of them, but no idea what they are - a kind of hover fly?

Any thoughts on the speices?

Gillies

tha fis agam a bhe iasg nuth dunidh sasain!

www.gilliesmackenzie.com

Just going tench fishing, but will have a closer look later today

Later - caught some 30-odd tench and a stray crucian. Ate a large lunch, got out my insect books and a malt.

The "dung fly" looks like one of the Tachinid flys - the larvae are parasitic on butterflies and moths. That central black spine between the eyes makes me think it is Larvaevora fera - a name that means "wild larva-nosher"

The "cleg" looks like Chrysops (but isn't ! see Frantic Fisherman's post below). You can just make out a brown and yellow patterned body.

The "hover fly" - not sure - can't find anything quite like it in my ID books.

I would stress I am no expert, just someone who happens to have a few books on insects.

[ 18. June 2005, 07:23 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

World species 471 : UK species 105 : English species 95 .

Certhia's world species - 215

Eclectic "husband and wife combined" world species 501

"Nothing matters very much, few things matter at all" - Plato

...only things like fresh bait and cold beer...

Amazing photos well done that man

Fishing digs on the Mull of Galloway - recommend

HERE

babyforavatar.jpg

Me when I had hair

Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy

Guest PhilB

I think the "cleg" is an oak fly which doesn't bite. There is a trout fly of the same name which represents it.

franticfisherman2:

I think the "cleg" is an oak fly which doesn't bite. There is a trout fly of the same name which represents it.

Yeh, you are right, just found a picture of it in "An Angler's Entomology" - wing pattern, striped thorax and all.

The illustration (of the oak fly) in Chinery's "Insects of Britain" does not show the wing pattern at all - That's shaken my faith in Chinery, as usually it is pretty accurate.

[ 18. June 2005, 07:25 AM: Message edited by: Vagabond ]

RNLI Governor

I thought the Cleg was the northern name for the Commmon Horse Fly, haematopota pluvialis (how do I get italics?). Is this also known as an Oak Fly?

[ 18. June 2005, 08:28 AM: Message edited by: Tony U ]

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Right, got it rhagio scolopacea, Oak or Snipe Fly, to be fair to Chinery he states in Insects of Britain and Western Europe "There are several related species, mostly with unspotted wings".

Tony

After a certain age, if you don't wake up aching in every joint, you are probably dead.

Tony U:

1.I thought the Cleg was the northern name for the Commmon Horse Fly,  

2.(how do I get italics?).

1. Yes, and not only in the North (I've heard it used in Norfolk - that's North Norfolk

2. Click on the italics box (opposite the smilies) copy'n paste in the box you get, click OK

Like this

Haematopota pluvialis

RNLI Governor

Vagabond

Re Cleg:

The Norwegian for Horse or Gad Fly is Kleggen so obviously an etymological link there.

Italics:

rhagio scolopacea rhagio scolopacea.

Thanks got it; been using the quick reply option.

Tony

Guest PhilB

If I remember correctly, the oak fly was a wet trout fly with an orange body and speckled wings made from grouse or something like that. The remainder of the dressing escapes me - but I should remember cos I caught a trout on one years ago at Coldingham Loch. Happy days...... :)