Cleaning up Mersey Parks - history

Bradford Angler

I remember reading an article (I think) about the parks etc . . in and around the Mersey being emptied of the usual trolleys, old bikes, etc . . generally cleaned up and then stocked to bring fishing back into the cities for kids etc . .

is there anyone out there that can confirm I am on the right tracks, or knows of an area that this has happened . . preferably council run lakes ??

(appologies - I am off on one again !)

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

hi,all the council run lakes nd parks in this area have been turned over to local clubs to run

not sure how it works but the council still are involved, been a big success clubs have extra water keep the are bailiffed ect.there is a section called S.A.F.E that is to bring the yougsters into fishing, again all the club in the area are involved along with the council.

if i can get more info ill let u know.

I remember the council emptying sefton park in liverpool and cleaning it out and they where talking about doing the same to neighbouring greenbank park but im not sure if they ever got around to it. All the fish taken from sefton park where temporarily put into other nearby park lakes. Sefton park lake is now refilled with water and i presume all the fish where put back in but im not 100% sure.Next time i go into the local tackle shop ill ask.

When i was last at the park lakes it was free fishing as they are council run.Sefton park, newsham park, walton hall park, princess park and greenbank park

Regards Paul Mc

I would be interested in knowing as many council owned waters that have been resurected for angling use, or handed over to angling clubs to run. maintain etc . .

I just remembered the liverpool area . . I did not want to start guessing sites and areas . . as if I had stated Liverpool and it was somewhere on the wirral then it would probably have caused all out war.

anywhere where this has happened I would like to know . . cheers, no not all out war but the fishing thing

hey waddaya know I can spell tomato !

Most if not all of Manchester MBC park lakes are now under club or franchisee control. Stockport MBC is the same, more or less.

Tameside parks control but the fishing is free or was last time I fished the two lakes they have.

Oldham MBC Club controlled.

Trafford I think are a mixture of club, MBC and franchisee.

Rochdale are a combination of the above.

All bar Stockport have a clause in their lease that they must allow daytickets on the waters.

You should be able to find contact details on each MBC web site under either Leisure or Countryside Services.

phil h.

Are you trying to lease a water of a Council?

If so remember Parks dept. always come at the bottom of the list for funding. Councils don’t have a statutory duty to provide parks, unlike education, social services, refuge collection, street lighting etc. Its one of their discretionary powers, hence why they’re always strapped for cash and at the bottom of the pile.

phil h.