Casting an Ondex

DavyR

I quite often use the buzz baits I got when I was over with you Newt.I tend to use them over weed same as we did out on Baden. Have had Pike on them working them paralell to reed beds as well.

A handy surface bait to carry as they dont have to be very big or heavy to work.The relatively small ones I got give off plenty of "fuss" and atract pike of all sizes.

The "standard" spinner bait has been quite popular over here for a few decades now.One of my mates had all his 30's from Llangdegfedd on them.

The one US lure that hasnt caught on over here is the rubber worm.Despite what I thought (as they are primarily a bass bait) they havnt been very good for Perch for me but in all fairness Im some what limited these days as to where I can lure fish for perch.That said Ive had quite a few pike on them now.Nothing big yet but lots of extra fish that I wouldnt have caught with out them in those situations.

Trouble with worms is that people dont bother to find out how to fish them and just try chucking out and retrieving them like normal lures.For casting to features and fishing tight to them they are great but take a bit of getting used to! Most of the fish Ive had on them have come just like in the instructional vidio we watched at Newts ie on the drop or within the first few turns of the handle! after a few feet just crank them in as quick as possible and gety out there again! The takes are really sensitive and more akin to fly fishing with a nymph than lure fishing!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Evidently the lure was too weird even with a result though since as far as I can tell, none of the AN folks watching ever decided to try one for themselves.

The same was true of the US style spinner baits since even after we caught several pike, no one decided to use one of those either.

Go figure. :D :D

For the benefit of any who aren't familiar with them:

It's incredible isn't it. I remember one day when I was filleting my fish at a filleting station at Exmouth, a couple came up and remarked on how much bigger my fish were than those they were catching. I asked them how they were fishing and the methods they used were those that had been used for years. I have devised a method that takes more and bigger fish and being as they were a pleasant couple I explained what I do and why it works. They listened to me and then the husband said to his wife, "I think that we will stick to our methods". Obviously unless they were using 50lb/bs line and a pound of lead they didn't feel as though they were sea fishing. A light rod, 18lb/bs line and no sinker was just far too radical for them, despite the fact I have landed numerous fish to well over 100lbs on the rig.

Politicians are not responsible for a country's rise to greatness; The people are.

The people are not responsible for a country's fall to mediocrity; the politicians are.

Budgie - I know that a few (mostly very experienced) lure anglers use them but the majority seem to react like the couple Chevin talked about and stay with the in-line style of spinners.

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Budgie - I know that a few (mostly very experienced) lure anglers use them but the majority seem to react like the couple Chevin talked about and stay with the in-line style of spinners.

No your right Newt.Theres no denying that UK anglers are very slow to try "new" things from the US or any where for that matter!

Its always tickled the ones who do look at the US scene or subscribe to US magazines like In-Fisherman how items of tackle,methods.styles of lures that have been used Stateside for decades are finally "discovered" by some UK writer and hailed as "new"!

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!