mouth damage

Guest marc771234

Guest marc771234

iv just returned to carp fishing after 2 years i was all ways very care full with me carp and never corezed any damage. but today my first day back 3 out of the 9 fish i court had mouth damage 1 was quiet bad i was using a standard hair rig with a size 10 bardless raptor i my be a bite rusty but thats no ex cuss if someone can list the main reasons for mouth damage so i can see where im going wrong.(i do have a korda carp care kit but still~~)

Contentious point here, I suspect the mouth damage was caused by the Barbless Hook moving around during the fight.

I don't use Barbless hooks anymore for Specimen fishing apart from crushing the barbs on my trebles when fishing for preds with bony mouths and tend to avoid barbless only waters as a consequence.

IMHO a micro barbed hook causes far less mouth damage because they stay put during the fight as long as your competent in removing them.

I'd agree with Rob on this, particularly if coupled to a stiffish rod. I've also moved away from barbless for specimen fish for the same reason. The problem's even worse with braid mainlines and barbless hooks - I've seen this cause damage even with very through actioned rods. Never had a problem with micro-barbed hooks though, even with braid and medium action rods.

HTH

Will

I'm another one. I don't mind using barbless at the commercials (because you have to) or for silvers but for anything big, no way. I've seen what barbless hooks do to big specimens and I'll never use them again.

¤«Thʤ«PÔâ©H¤MëíTë®»¤

Click HERE for in-fighting, scrapping, name-calling, objectional and often explicit behaviour and cakes. Mind your tin-hat

Click HERE for Tench Fishing World forums

Playboy.jpg

LandaPikkoSig.jpg

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do. I envy nobody but him, and him only, that catches more fish than I do"

...Izaac Walton...

"It looked a really nice swim betwixt weedbed and bank"

...Vagabond...

Guest marc771234

the tackle i was using was 2 3/4 esp rods with 15 pound mono main line tide to 10 pound mono hair with size 10 bardless raptor.i was using a method feeder thats why i was using the powerful rods do u think this could be the problem

I've always been under the impression that barbless hooks are better for the fish in terms of mouth damage..........although I have to say that it's mostly me that feels better when I unhook fish easily.

Why do barbless hooks move about more during a fight? A barbed hook will have the barb fairly near the point so the fish's mouth could still move about the bend and shank particulalry if the mouth is pierced all the way through. Or is it because bigger mouths bury the hook point and barb preventing it moving (so B/less are ok for smaller fish?)?

It's never a 'six', let's put it back

Or is it because bigger mouths bury the hook point and barb preventing it moving (so B/less are ok for smaller fish?)?

All though there are several factors that I include when choosing barbed or barbless I think youve got it right their Rusty.I generally use barbless in sizes below 14 and barbed above.

And thats my "non indicative opinion"!

I think we have had this debate before on several occasions. Rusty is quite right what he said. And I to believe barbless hooks do more damage to a carps mouth than barbed. The nature of carp rigs with their large hooks, braid, and heavy leads swinging around during the fight and the shear lengh of some of the fights, Its no wonder theres so many damaged fish about, Its a shame on one water i fish even some of the tench have suffered aswell.

Bind my wounds, And bring me a fresh horse.