whitby uk record for cod

iggy

Ah yes brian you noticed it something you dont often see these days it was all the same party but there was a couple of the old school with them with a couple of broom handles and scarborough reels with the tackle we use these days just looking at the old equipment seems quite strange.

so whats strange? scarborough reels will always beat the the mutiplier hands down cause people dont use them is cause there been told wrong, any 1 got a clue on here? scarbys are 1.1 so what there can lever any big cod and ling up were ya get ya multiplier its crap dont do buisness boat wise never will,but there again you so called skips knows it all its up to person so ya laugh at people using a scarboro reel, theres your answer people think it cheap like the old days but it aint, but why shoulkd people follow everyone else????? the man who used the scarboro reel so what his choice ok to take his money though stop taking the p..s out of people using gear what seems to you primitive, look back what goes around comes round

Edited by iggy

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

scarborough reels will always beat the the mutiplier hands down cause people dont use them is cause there been told wrong, any 1 got a clue on here? scarbys are 1.1 so what there can lever any big cod and ling up

Iggy you are right they can lever any cod or ling up but most people fish for sport these day not for winching.

paul.

http://sea-otter2.co.uk/

Probably Whitby's most consistent charterboat

Untitled-1.jpg

Hiya Alan,

what type of ground are you anchoring on and with what type of anchor ?

The problem is the cable tying itself in knots as it is paid out. The solution would be to use multiplait instead of cheap blue nylon, but at £2.50+ a metre it would cost £1,500 just for the rope. :o

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Hiya Alan,

The problem is the cable tying itself in knots as it is paid out. The solution would be to use multiplait instead of cheap blue nylon, but at £2.50+ a metre it would cost £1,500 just for the rope. :o

Alan

Yup I know what you are talking about, you have to make sure polly prop is coiled perfectly when it's retrieved or else you get into major problems when the anchor is dropped. I binned the polly prop a while back and now use a commercial potting rope called "Sea Steel", it's very hard wearing and coils easily it's also reasonably priced as about £70 for 220m.

Davy

"Skate Anglers Have Bigger Tackle"

Hiya,

As you have twin engines this may be worth a try but your boat might be too powerful to be able to do it. With a bit of practise you can hold the boat stationary using both engines, this is what I was doing when we got the big conger a few weeks back. I also use this method when bottom fishing in over 600'.. saves on anchoring :)

If you can't then it's a case of a bit more practise at your anchoring skills, you should be able to put the boat just uptide of the wreck and them move left or right along the wreck just by moving the position of the anchor rope on the bows. the good thing with her being a cat is she wont swing about as much while at anchor so should be a better platform. I've anchored on a wreck in 400' of water using this method as I said it just take as bit of practise to get it right. you may need a couple of attempts but when you get it right it's well worth it :)

Hi Davy

I have been following this part of the thread with interest.

I Think the Wildcard will sort the anchoring out eventually even with the problems we have up here.

I also think it would be interesting to use the Wildcards engines to hold position over a wreck or rough ground.

The drive system is so different from standard boats. See this page and follow its link.

It will also require experienced anglers all using braid to take part in the experiments.

Since this is the Wildcards first season it is a learning experience for all of us.

For instance I will be bringing a fully loaded larger reel with me whenever we are wreck anchoring so I will be able to bounce into the wreck, even from a long distance.

I am sure Alan appreciates all the help and ideas that are being exchanged on this thread

I must make it up to your neck of the woods soon.

Edited by Deepseacodmaster

Hiya,

Hi Davy

I Think the Wildcard will sort the anchoring out eventually even with the problems we have up here.

I also think it would be interesting to use the Wildcards engines to hold position over a wreck or rough ground.

The drive system is so different from standard boats. See this page and follow its link.

looking at the link, it may be quite difficult to do as even on tick over there will be quite a bit of thrust from the twin props. I can do it as my tick over speed is relatively slow, given that I only have a top speed of 9knts.

It will also require experienced anglers all using braid to take part in the experiments.

It also requires all the anglers to fish off the stern so that you can keep the lines away from the rotating props.

Since this is the Wildcards first season it is a learning experience for all of us.

Every day in boating and angling is a learning experience no matter how long you have been doing it for, they key is accepting that and being willing to learn :)

For instance I will be bringing a fully loaded larger reel with me whenever we are wreck anchoring so I will be able to bounce into the wreck, even from a long distance.

I am sure Alan appreciates all the help and ideas that are being exchanged on this thread

I must make it up to your neck of the woods soon.

it's all down to practice and tweaking things every time you try it, even after doing the deep water anchoring for nearly 20 years I'm still making slight improvements to my anchor & boat setup.

Davy

Hi Davy

Hello Ivan, i think we are all looking at this. Do you know why you have a particular problem with anchoring? We don't appear to have one nor does Davy up Scotland. Remember your visit with us for a few days, was it last year or the year before, can't remember now, all of that was at anchor without any problems of moving off the marks. What sort of tides are you trying? I'm sure if a solution could be found, it would be like turning the lights on.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hello Ivan, i think we are all looking at this. Do you know why you have a particular problem with anchoring? We don't appear to have one nor does Davy up Scotland. Remember your visit with us for a few days, was it last year or the year before, can't remember now, all of that was at anchor without any problems of moving off the marks. What sort of tides are you trying? I'm sure if a solution could be found, it would be like turning the lights on.

Are you twin anchoring though Barry?

Alan

Experience is that marvelous thing that enables you to recognise a mistake when you make it again.

Alan

No never heard of it before, that is why i'm puzzled. I know we can have a decent bit of tide, some times the guys grizzel because they have to use three pound weights, sometimes even more, not a problem with braid.

We have anchored the western approaches before now, quite deep water and moved twice, once on the flood, once on the ebb. Caught fish throughout the tide.

The concern i would have with two anchors would be if there was some kind of a sea or swell running, i wouldn't be too comfortable with that.

The rods don't take up alot of room the blokes could though, all they need to do is keep back a little until as and when. Even so you could have a couple of them down one side or the other as the situation requires.

Sort out a weekend trip in november, if you want to anchor on a wreck or two, i would be up for that.

Free to choose apart from the ones where the trust poked their nose in. Common eel. tope. Bass and sea bream. All restricted.

New for 2016 TAT are the main instigators for the demise of the u k bass charter boat industry, where they went screaming off to parliament and for the first time assisting so called angling gurus set up bass take bans with the e u using rubbish exaggerated info collected by ices from anglers, they must be very proud.

Upgrade, the door has been closed with regards to anglers being linked to the e u superstate and the failed c f p. So TAT will no longer need to pay monies to the EAA anymore as that org is no longer relevant to the u k . Goodbye to the europeon anglers alliance and pathetic restrictions from the e u.

Angling is better than politics, ban politics from angling.

Consumer of bass. where is the evidence that the u k bass stock need angling trust protection. Why won't you work with your peers instead of castigating them. They have the answer.

Recipie's for mullet stew more than welcomed.

Angling sanitation trust and kent and sussex sea anglers org delete's and blocks rsa's alternative opinion on their face book site. Although they claim to rep all.

new for 2014. where is the evidence that the south coast bream stock need the angling trust? Your campaign has no evidence. Why won't you work with your peers, the inshore under tens? As opposed to alienating them? Angling trust failed big time re bait digging, even fish legal attempted to intervene and failed, all for what, nothing.

Looks like the sea angling reps have been coerced by the ifca's to compose sea angling strategy's that the ifca's at some stage will look at drafting into legislation to manage the rsa, because they like wasting tax payers money. That's without asking the rsa btw. You know who you are..

Hiya Alan,

Alan

I may be missing something but why do you feel you need to twin anchor ?

To be honest I cant see any reason that you would need to use two anchors with the cat and that includes while precision anchoring over deep water wrecks. It could help with a mono hull to help stop the boat swinging while at anchor but not with a cat. It could well be that the two anchors are part of your problem as it would take a lot of effort to get them correctly positioned so that they hold you where you want to be.

Davy