Paypal question

ayjay

Elton:

I really hope you didn't enter any details.

Elton

Not that daft Elton. The email is correctly addressed to me rather than to *Paypal Member* and on the whole I think the email is genuine but I will wait until I next use Paypal and update it when necesssary.

It seems a little strange in the light of so many scams that they don't just let things take their course, also a little odd that the information about the expiry date is wrong, I think a shitty email may well be on it's way soon.

Mozilla does show me what site I'm on in the tab at the top, f'rinstance I went(deliberately) to a site via a dodgy Ebay email just to compare it with my own Ebay page and the info in the tab was different

I'm with a lot of other people in that I wont use Paypal under any circumstances.

A colleague sold 2 concert tickets on e-bay and was paid by pay pal. Two days after the money appeared in his account, and after he had sent the tickets, Paypal told him they had been paid by a fraudulent card and withdrew the money from his account. Paypal would not give him any of the details relating to the fraudulent card and still required him to pay the costs of using e-bay.

At least if someone pays me by cheque I can wait to make sure the moneys in my account before despatching goods.

Ferox are more than Mythical. www.darkmileferox.co.uk

Just for any doubters out there the messages you get from sites purporting to be Pay-Pal, Ebay etc., are 100% crap! They will NOT ever contact you in any way shape or form save to let you know that someone you have had a transaction with is (In Pay-Pals case only)claiming the parcel etc., has NOT arrived. They will NOT contact you for anything else!!

Ebay has now gone a stage further (Pay-Pal will follow suit)and ALL personal messages will now come via Ebay itself. SO if you get any message saying it is from Ebay it is not from them!!

As to Pay-Pal being rubbish, untrustworthy, etc., etc. I'm afraid to say the only problems with Pay-Pal are caused by the people who use it. I USED to be as sceptical as the next man. Then I started to actually read and look at Pay-Pal and it is totally 100% safe just as long as you follow the script!! For instance (And I can't remember where it is now!!) You can make ALL people who buy from you use there bank account to pay you!! That way if they say you have NOT sent an item they cannot charge back to the credit card company and thus Pay-Pal cannot charge you back either!! so many cons are done by means of this. I changed my settings and have NOT been taken for this again I can tell you!!

Just read and read again and make sure you are TOTALLY aware of what the consequences of your actions are and you will not go wrong!! Ask questions, either on the community pages of Ebay or to Pay-Pal themselves!! You would be surprised at how many "Newts" there are on Ebay who will give GOOD honest advice. Or ask me and I will endeavor to find out for you!!

P.S. If you get ANY e-mails from Ebay report them by forwarding to spoof@ebay.co.uk or spoof@pay-pal.co.uk and they have a deicated team of around 100 people who deal with such things led in the UK by a TOP ex. met oficer from the fraud squad and in the USA an ex FBI man and so forth in all the countries they operate all posts are filled by people who are top of the tree in fraud etc.

[ 26. February 2005, 04:15 PM: Message edited by: Chris Goddard ]

Chris Goddard

It is to be observed that 'angling' is the name given to fishing by people who can't fish.

If GOD had NOT meant us to go fishing, WHY did he give us arms then??

(If you can't help out someone in need then don't bother my old Dad always said! My grandma put it a LITTLE more, well different! It's like peeing yourself in a black pair of pants she said! It gives you a LOVELY warm feeling but no-one really notices!))

ajp:

I would have thought that I would just enter the new details the next time I use Paypal;  anybody else get reminders like this?

Just got your copy to look over ajp. Much to my surprise it looks legit and harmless.

The only minor bit of foolery is that a reply to service@paypal.co.uk looks like it would redirect to service@paypal.com but since they don't want you to do anything via email, I think that is just so they can consolidate their service responses without offending any Brits who dislike xx.com and will only deal with xx.co.uk

" My choices in life were either to be a piano player in a whore house or a politician. And to tell the truth, there's hardly any difference!" - Harry Truman, 33rd US President

Thanks Newt, although it's still a puzzle to me that 3 weeks after that card expired they write and tell me it's about to expire!

I knew it had expired on the 5th of Feb when I filled my van with diesel and handed the card over, :o it's lucky I'm so rich I got two credit cards. :D